Author Topic: Look up Casualty lists for Indian mutiny 1857 - 1859 and beyond.  (Read 10229 times)

Offline tedd1ebear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up Casualty lists for Indian mutiny 1857 - 1859 and beyond.
« on: Monday 01 February 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
01/02/2010; I was looking to find casualty lists of the Indian Mutiny 1857-59 as part on my researching my family genealogy and came across this website. So I joined last night as I saw a member, Kevwood offering his services to search these lists for both the Crimea war  & The Indian Mutiny, as he had a database.  Unfortunately I also say the related message from the Moderator, Scrimnet  back in September 09 stating that he was putting a lock on this topic as Kevwood was unwell at present,  and they were unsure when he would be back.

The Moderator has informed me that he has not heard from Kevwood since his message last September.
Does anyone else out there have access to a similar database?

In relation to my family genealogy, the facts as known to me presently are as follows;

My great great grandmother, Margaret Jane McNight, was married on 10 Nov 1856 in 1st Presbyterian Church, Newtownards, Co Down, Ireland to a William Gilmore from Kent whose occupation was given as "Soldier".  My late father had told me that William was killed in India before his wife could ship out to join him.  There is a William Gilmore, Driver, 3/11 Royal Artillery and a William Gillmore, Private, 8th Hussars (Kings Royal Irish) on the Indian Mutiny Medal Roll (British Forces) 1857 -1859.
I have looked through a website giving the casualties of the British Regiments but found no William Gilmore or William Gillmore.

I know my GGGrandmother remarried to my GGGrandfather in Newtownards on 13 Feb 1864 and is shown on the marriage certificate as widowed. So her first husband would have to have died between 1859 and 1864.

Sorry to have been long winded in the detailing, but I would appreciate any help from the members to follow this line of enquiry.

Tedd1ebear

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Casualty lists for Indian mutiny 1857 - 1859 and beyond.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 10 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Check here, as casualties from the HEIC forces are also listed.
http://www.angelfire.com/mp/memorials/mutindyz.htm

As you say though, he could have died anytime up to 1864 from the info you have.
Check the Army & Regimental Deaths on FindMyPast. These are deaths from causes other than battle, but he may be there.

Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
The medal roll for the Mutiny does not have any remarks against either man saying that he was killed during the mutiny. So this supports the casualty roll. Against the hussar it says 'Also Gilmore in Musters'. You could check the overseas/regimental deaths on Ancestry for the period 1859 to 1864. It should give the regiment in the index. Are you certain he served in the Mutiny, as there would have been other William Gilmours (etc) who did not.

I know the main force of the 8th Hussars was in Dundalk from May 1856 to Sep 1857, but I don't know if they had a detachment 30-40 miles away in Newtownards. They would have had a depot somewhere in the UK, but you will need a Harts army list for 1868 to find out where that was. It may have also been in Dundalk.

If he did die while serving they would have destroyed his records 20 years later. Any pension she did receive would have been for a limited period only, say 6 or 7 years, and they would have given her a final year's pension when she re-married. The only other source will be the muster books in Kew. These will say if he was on detachment closer to Newtownards. Unfortunately the musters of this period do not mention wives and children. But it will say when he died.

Finding out where RA units were is a lot harder. Army Lists are not much help, and they will be dozens of muster books for each year.

Ken

Offline tedd1ebear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Neil1821

Thanks for the link to the angelfire.com website.  I went on to it, and that was the website I was refering to in my email. I will have a look through the findmypast website later, as I am a member there too.

KM1971. Ken, thanks for the history lesson on the 8th Hussars.  I know very little other than what's in my original email. They married in Newtownards as that was my GGGrandmothers home town.