Author Topic: Robert Harrington, born Cumberland, missing in 1841/51/61  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Harrington, born Cumberland, missing in 1841/51/61
« on: Tuesday 02 February 10 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

I wondered if anyone could help me with a missing person.

I am looking for the birth of a Robert Harrington, born circa 1835.  I have him in the censuses from 1871 onwards, living in Liverpool and the birthplace is given as either Brampton or Carlisle.
The occupations are labourer, warehouseman and stevedore.

He married in Liverpool in Quarter 1 1871, and his father's name is George, occupation farmer.

In 1881 he obviously had another family as well!  There was a Mary Ainsworth, living with her parents with a son Robert Therrington, (in later censuses - Harrington) who is my husband's great-grandfather. The birth certificate gives his father as Robert Harrington, a stevedore.   In 1891, Mary is described as a widow, but there is no evidence to suggest that she and Robert senior married, particularly as he appears to still be with his first family in 1881, 1891 and 1901!!!

I have tried to locate Robert and his father George in 1841/51/61 but with no luck.

There is an added mystery of a John Harrington, born Carleton, Cumbria, living in Deanbank Road, Liverpool in the early 1920's.  This is the same road where Robert junior lived with his daughter, my husband's mother.  No-one in the family living today knows anything about him.

I found the following on IGI:

Robert Erington, born 22 Oct 1837, parents George and Sarah, in a place called Arthuret.

This may or may not be the one I am looking for.

If anyone has access to parish records for the area, I would be grateful for any help you could give.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Sandgrounder

CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Harrington, born Cumberland, missing in 1841/51/61
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »

Hello

Have you had a look at the 1851 entry for Ellesmere HO107/1994 Folio 295 Page 15 ? There is a family transcribed as Hennington from Cumberland.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »

Same family in 1841 @ Ellesmere HO107/918/3 Folio 11 Page 14 with a few more children

posteria

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »

Same family in 1861 @ Ellesmere RG9/1883 Folio 78 Page 16 but Robert is not with them. I think the birth place for some of the children is meant to be Arthuret

Although they are transcribed as Hennington or Henington on all three censuses, their name looks like Herrington to me on the original images.

posteria

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Posteria

I'm so grateful for all your help.

When you mentioned Ellesmere, it rang a bell, so I went back through old paperwork and found a John Harrington, unmarried, nephew, born Salop, Tetchill, living with Robert in 1881. 

I have now found a birth of a John Young Harrington, Dec quarter 1855, Ellesmere, so I will send for the birth cert.  At least it will confirm which of Robert's brothers was the father.

So it seems that the IGI record is likely to be the correct one.

Thank you again for your help

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport