Author Topic: US Census Look up Request  (Read 7401 times)

Offline heartman48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: US Census Look up Request
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 01:47 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to the ship's manifest that your uncle was registered on to travel to Newark, USA in 1909.  You must register with the Eilis Island site (free) to view information. Once registered, you can copy and paste this web address and it will take you to your uncle's information. Or, just go to the search page and type in his name.  You will get a hit on Michael Halligan arriving on 9 Sept 1909 with a final destination of Newark.  It shows he arrived with $35 and was going to Uncle Patrick Phelan, he was 5 ft 6 inches tall, dark complexion, dark hair, dark eyes. It appears on two pages - page 0141 and 0142.  There is a link to click on that shows a picture of the ship he arrived on as well.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c2u/

Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen
See tips here, to avoid this:

Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!

Offline Moinear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trishe,

Delighted to hear from you.  I have some information on the Halligans & Quanns, but would love to get more information & photo would be fantastic if you mum had any.

I have sent a private message with my email address so we could exchange photos etc.

I would be delighted to hear from you.

Moinear

Offline trishe10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 02 March 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much to you guys for the info.  I feel a lot more confident now in starting the search for the Irish side of my family.

Offline TeresaWaterford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 January 12 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Michael Halligan and Mary Quann are also my great grandparents.
My grandfather was the eldest of their children (John), who travelled back from the US with his parents and brothers and sisters to attend the funerals of Michaels two brothers who were fishermen in Balinlaw and both drowned. They then stayed in Co. kilkenny and never returned to the US. My grandfather lived in Glenmore.
The only one of his siblings I met was Mary who was a nun and spent most of her life working in Nigeria.
My mother told me at Christmas that Mary Quann was an operatic singer. I was trying to find some information on her when I found this forum!  :)

TeresaWaterford

Offline trishe10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 January 12 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa,

Lovely to hear from you.  My mother, (*), is the sister of your grandad.  She is still alive and well and living in Essex, England.  Another sister,
(*), also lives in Essex.  I remember hearing the story of Michael's two brothers from my Mum.  The place where they lived was a village called Ballinlaw, which is near Glenmore.  Michael was a publican and a farmer.   I don't think Mary, his wife, could have been the well known opera singer because she married young and had ten children.  That doesn't leave a lot of time for opera singing except, perhaps, in the bath!  I am in the process of compiling a Halligan family tree, so if you have any other questions I might be able to help.  Incidentally, do you live in Waterford?   I used to stay with my aunt Eileen (your grandad's sister) in Waterford during summer holidays when I was young.

Happy new year.

Pat (also known as Trish)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline TeresaWaterford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 January 12 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat!

Thanks for the speedy response!

It's fascinating, I didn't realise until recently how many siblings my grandfather had.
My mother grew up in Glenmore (where my brother now lives) and she now lives in Kilmurry (where I grew up) which is not far from Glenmore. As far as I know we still have relatives in Balinlaw. I think it was Agnes Halligan who took over the Ferry bar there and then her sons. I visited there a few times when I was younger.
My mother would have more information.

I've been living in London about 25 years now but go home a few times a year.
I'd be very interested to see the family tree and perhaps even meeting some relatives!

Happy new year!

Moira (Teresa)

Offline MichaelHalligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 06 April 13 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Michael Halligan and I live in San Francisco, California. I am the eldest son of the late Joe Halligan and the late Nora Baldwin Halligan. I was born in 1940. I have two brothers and two sisters, all of whom live in the Waterford, Ireland area. I was pleasantly surprised to stumble across your posts last night. I've been doing quite a lot of "stumbling" around websites dealing with genealogy. In particular, I've been trying to trace the Halligans, the Sherlocks of County Wexford, and the Baldwins of County Waterford. Here is the order in which Michael and Mary Quann Halligans' children were born: Anna, John, Eileen (all in Ireland), Joe, Mary (both born in the US), Aggie (I think she was born in Ireland), Briget, Bessie, Billy, and Josephine (all in Ireland). I may be off a little in placing them, but I quite sure that's right.

Eireann, Moinear, Trish10, and Teresa, that's all for now. My email address is (*), if you have any other questions I might be able to help with or any other interesting information about these families.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline TeresaWaterford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 April 13 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael
I sent you an email yesterday and attached some photos of Michael and Mary Quann Halligan. If it won't open I'll try sending the pics to you individually. They were sent from (*)

All the best

Moira (Teresa)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php