Author Topic: South Africa to Bilston  (Read 34759 times)

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa to Bilston
« Reply #54 on: Monday 07 April 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
Came across this thread by accident.  I am intrigued by mentions of Bernard Malim Bowen as my interest is in the Malim family.  One member of the family went out there at around the turn of the century, and I wondered if there was some sort of connection as Malim is an unusual name and crops up from time to time as a Christian name; usually as a result of a woman incorporating her maiden name.
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 16 May 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Bernard Malim Bowen was born in Bilston Staffordshire in 1864. His mother was Alice Harris Bowen nee Kendrick. His father was William Bowen. I have not managed to check out the Malim connection as yet, but the Kendrick name is used for two of his siblings. Both of his parents were born in Bilston. Does your name Malim crop up in South Africa or England? Peep.

Offline Historycat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 16 May 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Most of the Malim family are in England, but branches seem to have gone all over the world (just found some in Argentina!)  The Staffordshire branch are Charlotte Malim (born 1845/46 Grantham) and her husband Harry Barlow (born 1831 Wolverhampton) who had 9 children between 1870 and 1883 and also Mary Isabel Malim (born 1842 Brompton Kent) and her husband Frederick Messiter (born 1839 Frome Somerset) they had 8 children between 1873-1883.  Given these dates it would seem any connection would have to be earlier!
The family in South Africa (from the family history I have been given, not confirmed any details yet) are that of Leila Malim (born 1882 Wandsworth) and her husband Frederick Wilkin (who I believe may have been South African).
The Malim history I have goes back to 1533 it was compiled by one Alfred Malim who was a clergyman at the end of the 19th century.  There are a number of 17th and 18th century ancestors in there who may well have descendents somewhere, it's just that Alfred didn't find them!
Malim (any) Wilde, Mase/Mace Bagshaw (Norwich/Norfolk), Almond (London, Staffs, S America, Thanet) Hart, Sharp/e Lincs, Smith (London) Ware (London) Blower (Hants Essex) Webb, Holmes (Suffolk Essex) Warcup (London, W Indies) Hallam (Leics) Johnson and Noon Derbyshire

Offline LornaJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 13 March 09 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I have just found this link. I am descended from Jonathan and Ann Wade's daughter Alice Wade, who emigrated to South africa with her deceased sister Elizabeth Hesom's 2 sons. I would be so grateful if you could send me the information going back the 4 generations to William Wade and Alice that you mentioned in your posting.

LornaJ

Hi John

Until i came across this thread i had no idea that any of the Wade family had gone out to South Africa. Looking back on previous replies it seems Elizabeth bpt 16.3.1817 Stonton Wyville is your ancestor ?
She was the daughter of Jonathon and Ann Wade and was one of 10 children. Is this the right family ?

If so , back 4 generations to a William Wade and Alice.
They had 9 children one of them a Jonathon Wade who would be your ancestor and another called Henry who was my G x 6 Grandfather.

You perhap's already have this info but if not i would be happy to pass it on to you.

Sue

Offline snwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 10 May 09 06:37 BST (UK) »
Just was informed about this rootschat website by peep.  I am related directly to the Bowens discussed.  My mother was Barbara Bowen, the only child of Arthur Kendrick Bowen (as far as I know).  The south africa issue is totally new to me and i will have to read the chats to come up to speed.  I at  least think I know who Bernard Malim Bowen is, although he never shows up in the census with William Bowen (1881, 1891).  Bernard Malim Bowen, Percy St John Bowen and Ida Constance Bowen are my grandfathers (Arthur Kendrick Bowen) siblings.  Therefore I am very interested in their lives and records in South Africa.  Hope to relate more as I understand what is to me a whole new research topic!

Stephen Wood, Roseburg, Oregon, USA
Sproat, Cowan, Lamb, Sather, Bell, Clemow, Wood, Bowen, Ainley, Lamb

Offline hislordship

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 22 April 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hello LornaJ

This is very interesting - I have also just found the link to this site. I'm also a descedant of Jonathan and Ann's daughter Alice through a grandson John Berridge (father Joesph Weed Wade) who married Andrea Nilsen.

Rather a small world it seems :-)
I see a mention of Dundee in the posts too, which is where my connection would come in.

This is really quite fascinating!

Hi Sue

I have just found this link. I am descended from Jonathan and Ann Wade's daughter Alice Wade, who emigrated to South africa with her deceased sister Elizabeth Hesom's 2 sons. I would be so grateful if you could send me the information going back the 4 generations to William Wade and Alice that you mentioned in your posting.

LornaJ

Hi John

Until i came across this thread i had no idea that any of the Wade family had gone out to South Africa. Looking back on previous replies it seems Elizabeth bpt 16.3.1817 Stonton Wyville is your ancestor ?
She was the daughter of Jonathon and Ann Wade and was one of 10 children. Is this the right family ?

If so , back 4 generations to a William Wade and Alice.
They had 9 children one of them a Jonathon Wade who would be your ancestor and another called Henry who was my G x 6 Grandfather.

You perhap's already have this info but if not i would be happy to pass it on to you.

Sue
Wade: South Africa, England
Albers: South Africa, Germany
Nilsen: South Africa, Norway

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 09 May 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
I am glad to see this thread is still being useful. If anyone finds a connection to Thomas Hesom and Elizabeth Mayo in Willoughby PLEASE let me know
I know two of their children married Jeffcotts , one married a Musson I have their children's baptisms if you want them and their first son Thomas b Willoughby 1773 married Mary Ellard 1809 in Willoughby and although he was a farmer he ended up in Debtors prison(Coventry goal)
1851 HO107/2068 fo245 p41
Thomas HESAM   Insolvent   Mar   77   Farmer   Warwickshire

Many thanks Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline snwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa to Bilston- Hesom
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 09 May 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
I have been corresponding with peep/ Patricia Sheldon and she has found out the following about our common family.  My mother was Barbara Bowen, grandfather was Arthur Kendrick Bowen both of Bilston.  Please see my post below.  Bernard Bowen died unmarried, but his sister Ida Constance Bowen married a  Robert Hesom, son of George Thomas Hesom who was born in Rugby Warwickshire England. Ida had 3 children.  All this also involves the Boer War in 1901 and a rather romantic story.  I hav a picture of Bernard Malims Gravestone in S. Africa frpm Patricia.  If any of this is of interest please post another note on RootsChat.
Sproat, Cowan, Lamb, Sather, Bell, Clemow, Wood, Bowen, Ainley, Lamb

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
In my great grandfathers house during the 1901 census there was  a visitor from Natal . Her name was Mary  E Teasdale aged 23 and single. ?                                     
This was how I started the thread.
    I somehow found out that Bernard was in the Natal Carbineers and that he died after Ladysmith so I applied for his death no tice. Lo and behold Mary was his executrix.
   After digging and delving I found out that Mary was fiance of my Gt Uncle Bernard, and he died after the siege of Ladysmith.
  During my family research I have found 2nd cousins, one in South Africa, and one in America, but Gt Uncle Bernard has proven to be very interesting to me, and my 2nd cousin in S.A.
   I then went on to find some loveletters from him to Mary lodged in a Museum in S.A. and these were very heart wrenching he missed her so much, and at times he was beside himself. He writes that he has bought some land with a house that will need work doing, but £100 will put it right. The estate cost £500, and he writes”Why rent when you can buy”
    The night he is told that he is going to Ladysmith he writes to his family in England that he is leaving at 630am, and that it will be a slaughter. During the battle he writes again saying that he has found pen and paper in a house on top of a hill that has been blasted by the Boers, and still the guns are firing. The troops are short of food and he has to go to the township to buy food which is auctioned off. Prices are absurd. Tea 10/s Ib eggs 48/- doz milk 31/- a tin whisky £6 a bottle jam 18/- Ib tin. The horses are dying,and others are shot for “scoff” as he puts it. Conditions were deplorable.