Author Topic: Help! Computer crisis  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help! Computer crisis
« on: Thursday 17 March 05 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Please help. I have had a computer disaster in that my wife reloaded the operating system WITHOUT saving the user data. Some idiot on a helpdesk told her that the data would be safe. As I'd just left one job and transferred everything to the home computer without getting round to backing it up, I'm well and truly in a mess.

I know that over the last few months many Rootschatters have been very kind in posting important information. Is there an easy way to track the threads to which I have contributed to see what I can salvage?

I apologise in advance if this is a very easy thing to do and I should have been able to see it for myself, but sometimes you can't see for looking and that is the position I am in now. Added to that, the loss of my data feels as bad as a bereavement.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Computer crisis
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 March 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Nick, I deeply sympathise with your loss.  as a computer programmer for over 30 years, I can imagine how you are feeling now.

Did you make any backups at all, at any time, which could help provide "bits" of the patchwork ???

To find your contributions here, go to your profile, and click on  Show the last posts of this person.

This should give you every post you've made here.

And no need to apologise, this must have left you stunned !

hope you can put enough pieces together,
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline craggus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 March 05 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Was just about to reply but Bob beat me to it!

Also sorry to hear about your loss, it's happened to me before as well  :(
BLACKHAM - Great Bridge/Tipton/West Bromwich; BALL - West Bromwich; JOHNSON - West Bromwich/Tipton/Dudley; WHARTON - West Bromwich; COOPER - Surrey; ALDERTON - Surrey/Essex; SEELEY - Coventry/Wales; JONES - Wales (!)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 March 05 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help. I do have bits of paper and a handful of files, so I can probably recreate my research. It has made me more determined to make paper copies of everything I find, as well as keeping back-ups at regular intervals.

The worst thing is the loss of contacts whose names escape me for the moment. Hopefully some of them will get in touch with me eventually/
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Paul E

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 05 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nick

I can also empathise with you hugely - lost all my data last month when I had a virus and the only possible option left (after taking advice and agonising for a couple of days!) was to wipe my hard drive and reinstall XP.  The only saving grace was that I kept my tree on Genes Reunited and it was 'safe'.  But I lost a lot of notes and images that I'd been collecting.  The worst was e-mail contacts.
At least you'll be able to review all your postings here and reconstruct some of it.
And open a big bottle of wine tonight, too! :)

Paul