Author Topic: Bad press for heir hunters  (Read 17688 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Bad press for heir hunters
« on: Friday 05 February 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Heir hunters companies have been in the press today, but not in a good way.  This follows allegations made in the press by people claiming to have been "ripped off" by heir hunters.  One such press article is this one in the Daily Mail.

One woman complained that she was charged 33% of the estate of a cousin three times removed.  Having seen the Heir Hunters show, I can see for myself how much it must cost to keep about 30 people in an office in full-time employment, plus several mobile interviewers and researchers, plus the cost of certificates (which Neil Fraser himself has said costs F & F about £100,000 a year), and the costs of the property itself, and the heating, lighting and maintenance of it.  Bearing in mind that not all cases actually yield benefactors, I don't feel that the commissions charged are too high.  In the case of the woman whose benefactor was a cousin 3 times removed, she probably would have been quite oblivious to his passing, if the heir hunters hadn't contacted her.

Bearing in mind that if these companies didn't exist, the government would pocket all the money, and that distrust in MPs is at an all-time high, I don't think that any of the companies featured on the BBC show are guilty of ripping people off at all.  It really annoys me that people like MPs and bankers who are ripping us off on a regular basis attract little attention, whilst those trying to run honest businesses are hounded by the press.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bad press for heir hunters
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I agree Nick wholeheartedly and she should consider herself lucky that she got anything at all which of course without the intervention of companies like F and F she wouldn't have done.  ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I think it should make us all aware of how important it is to make a will  ;D

Some of the more recent cases,you just know they would rather the money have gone to friends or neighbours or even the local cats home ,than a fairly distantly removed cousin they had never even met, least of all heard of.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline violeign

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:28 GMT (UK) »
This is all part of a completely transparent PR campaign, behind which is a company that likes to think it is whiter than white, but which is arguably more morally bankrupt than the likes of F&F et al.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
There is a bit of me that thinks (and I know before I get jumped on that it is not completely black and white) that if these people had kept in touch with the deceased in the first place they would presumably have been in a will!

I know there are a lot of ifs and buts in that statement but perhaps we should all just try a little harder to communicate once in a while with our family.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
From Daily Mirror article: Yesterday, Labour MP Tom Watson said: "This seems a staggering commission. It seems like people are being ripped off."

This is from an MP who thought it was quite acceptable to claim the maximum of £4800 a year food allowance on his expense claims  !  ::)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I don't understand why MPs are allowed to claim for food anyway?
If one is away for a night in a hotel etc for your work, then fair enough, but when you are saying that you have a second home in London, then strictly speaking you are not away from home! ???
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Exactly !  Especially when HM Customs & Revenue make it so clear about what you are entitled to claim for, as a UK taxpayer, and that does not include expenses involved with travelling to or from, or living in, your usual place of work.  Since the normal place of work for all MPs is Westminster, then they should not be claiming anything for food if they live nearby.  If I were an MP, I would be very careful about allegations of ripping people off !   ;)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:54 GMT (UK) »
These heir's do have a choice to sign or not.
monica meg
Burnett, Manchester, Halifax
Mccaffery Manchester, Ireland
Law Manchester
Riley Manchester, Ireland
Boswell Manchester, Ireland
Hamilton, Lanarkshire Scotland
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Yuill Raeside Lanarkshire
Nimmo Lanarkshire