Author Topic: Help! Marriage In Glamorganshire Area  (Read 926 times)

Offline klj2k2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help! Marriage In Glamorganshire Area
« on: Thursday 17 March 05 22:18 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage of James Davies and Fanny, unsure of surname!
James was born in approximately 1858 in merthyr tydfil.
His father was John Davies, born approx 1815 in hereford, his mother was Mary Davies born approx 1825 in pembroke

Fanny was born approx 1862 in swansea, glamorgan.

James Davies had a brother called George Davies, and a sister called Mary louise Davies.

After marriage I am unsure of where they were living but on 1881 they were living in North View Terrace, Aberaman, with James' Parents.
If anyone has further information, which could help my search please contact me.
Thanks
Kate

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Marriage In Glamorganshire Area
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 March 05 00:08 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the 1881 Census for this family.  Assuming the two grandchildren in the household are children of James and Fanny then the eldest child (who was 3)  would have been born in either late 1877 or early 1878.  As Fanny was only 19 in 1881 she would have been only about 16 at the time of the birth, so it would be likely that the marriage would have been only a few months before (or maybe even after) the birth.

The only marriage I could find in 1877 or 1878 between a James Davies and a woman named Fanny in Glamorgan was this one:

Marriages Sep 1877
~~~~~~~~

Cooper  Fanny    Merthyr T  11a 569   
Davies  Gwenllian     Merthyr T  11a 569   
Davies  James     Merthyr T  11a 569   
WILLIAMS  Thomas     Merthyr T  11a 569   

It's so difficult with names like Davies - even if you sent for the certificate and the father of James was recorded as John you still could not be certain it was the correct one.

I think your best bet is to track the family forward to 1891, and hope that one of their children had an unusual Christian name so you can  look for a birth reference - the birth certificate should then reveal the maiden name of Fanny.

Regards

Caro

BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline klj2k2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 March 05 13:04 GMT (UK) »
hi. thank you for you for your reply it was very helpful! I have the information of all the children that they had, including where they were living at the time of the 1891 census and the 1901 census. So hopefully will be able to find the information. Do you know anywhere where you can view birth certificates for free?
Also could you please tell me who were the other people that you mentioned, and did the information give any details about Fanny's birth place as I have had a reply of somebody else with the same name as you gave, but said that Fanny was born in the Isle Of Sheppy!
This would be a great help to me
Thank you very much
Regards
Kate

Offline Caswell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 March 05 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the other people I mentioned.

I looked at the 1881 Census Entry for the family, which I presume you have as you gave the address they were living at the time in your first post - North View Terrace.

In the 1881 Census entry Fanny's birthplace is given as Swansea. Does that correspond with the info you have from 1891 and 1901?  Looking at the places of birth of both her and James (he was born Merthyr) and at where they were living (Aberdare) and where the  children who were in the 1881 household and who  I  thought were almost certainly children of James and Fanny were born (Aberdare) I couldn't be certain where James and Fanny married - the only birth ref I could find that may have been them was the one I posted - where a James Davies married either a Fanny Cooper or a Gwenllian Davies.  However it is by no means certain that  that reference relates to your James Davies.  I suggested getting hold of a birth certificate of one of their children so that you would know Fanny's maiden name.  Once you know that you should be able to find their marriage without to much problem - unless her maiden name was something like Jones!

I don't know of anywhere you can look at birth certificates for free - I wish I did.  You could try looking for baptisms of the children, but they more often or not (in my experience) don't give the mother's maiden name and unless you know exactly which church they were baptised in it will be difficult with the name Davies.

Do any of the children have unusual names?  Fingers crossed that at least one of them does!
BROCKWAY: Glamorgan & Wiltshire
CROCK:Glamorgan, London, Surrey & North England
DIAMOND: Glamorgan & Taunton, Somerset
DOMONEY/DOMINEY: Dorset
HARVEY: Glamorgan
LATCHEM: Radstock, Somerset
PAGE: Glamorgan & Warwickshire
PLENTY: Glamorgan & Somerset
ROBERTS: Glamorgan & Radstock,  Somerset
RODERICK: Glamorgan
SANDERCOCK: Cornwall
SHAW: Glamorgan, Somerset & Devon
THOMAS: Glamorgan
VENNER: Somerset
WEBB: Glamorgan & Tufton, Hampshire
WRIVET/WREVET[T]: Cornwall

Offline klj2k2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 March 05 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes one of the children did have an unusual name, which was Tamson Davies, the only one that i found on ancestry.com, with the right birth date. She was born approximately 1896. If you any further information relating to this I will be happy if you could give it to me.
Thank you very much for your help
Regards
Kate