Author Topic: William Alexander McLEOD  (Read 4599 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Alexander McLEOD
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 February 10 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Continued Part 2.  Have had people incorrectly adding names appearing in my trees to their own trees - had an ancestor (who was born in Scotland, died there) who was listed on one tree as b. Scotland, died in Florida! another had same person born AND died in Florida! ( No - my being in Australia wasn't reason for this info. on John W.A.Mcleod. I'll go back in and cancel off Elva Lenore!)
 Sorry about the earlier post.  That was from family info. given to me by my husband, and was true - but I cannot link that particular Hugh McLeod up. I think he was a son of one of John's (Snr. b. 1861) sons, as Hugh was only in early 20's in second World War (accord. to my husband, but as he was himself in his latish teens, he may have 'guessed' age wrong! He's always way out with women's ages too! Thinks they are a lot younger than they are, by their looks!).
 At the time of my earlier post, I didn't know anything about either that Hugh or John.  Still haven't found that Hugh!
To continue: Can you give me details of John & Mary McLeod's marriage in Cuyahoga Co.  Know it was c. 1889.
Their  children - first was Anna, so she could be the one marrying Norman D. MacLeod.  The fact that she was in Dunedin, could also be relevant.  Also b.date of 1889 seems right.Then Daisy Barbara (known as Barbara) , John, Hugh, Florence Mary (m. Edgar L. Perry), William A.  No birthdate or death for Daisy B. but know she married William George Betz, have a little more on her, but not too worried about chasing more. The tree just develops more & more twigs!
Sorry for delay in getting back to you - but in Australia we would have been in the depths of our night, and sound asleep, whilst you were all churning over your helpful brains! ;D  (Who is "Ohio Susan"?)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 February 10 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ruth,

Ohio Susan is a fantastic  lovely lady/rootschatter in Cuyahoga County. Ohio and comes up with some amazing links for researchers. Some of those links are listed above.

Will try to add a few bits for you as I read through your reply or have another look at anything relevant.
William George Betz pops up on a WW2 record. Date of Birth 5 July 1890 Ohio. Still in Cleveland at this date. Next of kin Barbara Betz.

The 1930 census states they were married at 21 years old - so about 1909. As well as William, (his parents were German/English) Barbara and Lucille (she is 13 years old) there is a young son who I cannot name because he may be living. (You can guess the name it should be easy) William is a foreman of a wallpaper stocker.
They are in East Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 February 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a record - Social Security Death Index - Barbara Betz  Born 11 Oct 1890  Died 20 Nov 1980 Dade City . Pasco. Florida. The SSN was issued in Ohio.

I think Lucille Betz was born 24 May 1916 and died 13 Oct 1982 San Joaquin. California. Mother maiden name Mcleod and Father Betz. Birthplace Ohio.
Lucille had married an Evans - she died as Lucille B Evans.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh McLEOD, Canadian Army?
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
To revert to my ORIGINAL post re Hugh McLeod, the info. I gave was mostly conjecture - on information given to me by my husband, to try and set a timeline for this particular person.  Hubby said that Hugh McLeod was possibly in mid-20's - and in CANADIAN ARMY - at the time he visited Britain (and MacLeod family in Inverness) during Second World War.  I only made a guess at his probable birth date, but he could have been a bit older.   Most of family seemed to have lived in various places in America, but I haven't traced any connections yet in Canada.
I wonder now if Hugh was a son of Anna McLeod, (sister of William Alexander) and her husband Norman D. MacLeod?  Perhaps they lived in Canada at some stage?  This would fit his age in more comfortably, and would also retain his surname as MacLeod.  Does this seem possible?