Author Topic: LEEKE and WILKINSON  (Read 24161 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 November 09 09:01 GMT (UK) »
1901 census will soon be added to National Archives website along with 1911 that's there now. However, I have copies of 1901 Aghadowey census.
1901- Cullycapple- Charles Leek, Chuch of Ireland, 40, not married, born Co.Derry, carter; visitor John McLaughlin, Church of Ireland, 50, not married, born Co.Derry, farm labourer. (I think I've heard were Charles Leeke came to in Aghadowey but not sure if I wrote it down).
1901- Ballybritain- Hugh W.B. Thompson, Church of Ireland, 29, not married, Donegal, clerk in Holy Orders; servant Jane Brown, Presbyterian, 39, wid., Co.Derry, housekeeper-domestic servant. (I was mistaken about Jane using maiden name in 1901 but marriage to Leeke in civil index she is def. listed as Wilkinson).

William Wilkinson Brown's birth was registered July/Sept.1892 in Coleraine district. So father's death earlier the following year is quite possible.
Samuel James Brown's birth was registered July/Sept.1891 in Wexford district (not Wicklow)- as Samuel James Browne- and 1901 census says born Co, Wexford.
Think Sam's wife Rachel Doherty was the daughter of John Doherty and Ann Jane Wallace- they lived at Mullahinch and Cullycapple.

Yes, William married Elizabeth Florence Lawford 1921 in Albury district, New South Wales. Also found Jimmy Leeke's marriage in 1932 in NSW.
www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

Will do some more digging over the next few days and let you know what else I can discover.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 November 09 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't wait any longer so I made a phone call this morning  :)

Jane Wilkinson had 2 sons from 1st marriage (no Charlie as I was told- just mix up in names).

Charlie Leeke lived in Cullycapple (fits with 1901 census) and worked as carter to Mullamore bleach green (when bogs in Aghadowey done he carted coal from Coleraine for them), later drew milk to Garvagh creamery.

Tillie Wilkinson stayed with Leekes and had the shop in corner of the kitchen until her marriage. Tillie was daughter of Jane's sister. In later years another sister of Jane's lived with Leekes after she retired (had been in service)- think it was possibly sister Sarah.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julesleeke

Rose Cottage farm is in Cullyrammer - it was owned by the Lyttle family at the time of Griffith Valuation (see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml).  My gt gt gt grandfather Samuel Lyttle was the householder in Griffith so you can do a search and see it on the map.  Samuel's brother John was Lord Mayor of Belfast and John's obituary lists Samuel's address as "Rose Cottage, Aghadowey" so that's how I came across the name.  Samuel's son Joseph left the farm to his in-laws, the Longs, in 1884 but I don't know who would have been there when Charles came to Aghadowey.

AK2

Offline Julesleeke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
You're absolutely right there, Tilly lived with the Leekes as an adult and ran the shop they had there in Mullaghinch before marrying Robert McKirgan and living on Coleraine Rd, Portstewart. As a child she lived with William Wilkinson of Caheney and was listed as a niece. Indeed, she was the daughter of Hanna Wilkinson who was living in Coleraine and working as a cook for the Stewart family of Lodge Rd.
Again, correct about Sarah McIlroy Wilkinson living with the family during the 40s. She had been a servant in the household of Lord Dunleath at Ballywalter Park, or so I'm told
My grandmother Regis carried on the shop right up until they moved to the lower house in 1960. They liked to have a bit of a hooley on a Saturday night and neighbours would come over and dance to a fiddle on the kitchen floor after the weeuns were all bathed! And yes, Jimmy was my granda  ;D

The Charlie leeke you're referring to is Jane's husband, yes? He was a carter. The only thing I've ever known about his working life was that he carted the stones for the building of the RC chapel at Cullycapple, oh and that he swore a lot apparently  :D. Meanwhile, the only thing the family ever knew about William Wilkinson, Jane's father, was that he was "the crossest man in Aghadowey" according to Regis!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Don't think it's the same Rose Cottage- 3 of us here have heard the name and think it's Mullaghinch/Cullycapple/Mullamore area but can't remember who lived there. Must start a list of names of houses, etc. in Aghadowey area someday...  :-\

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
More than likely a different place, Aghadowey.

I just checked out Griffith for the Cullyrammer "Rose Cottage" and see it's indexed under "Samuel LITTLE", not Lyttle.  Also looked up the map and it's on a lane running from the Cullyrammer Road through to the Moneydig Road at Caheny.

Do I remember a Cochrane family living in a Rose Cottage or similar from a PM you (Aghadowey) sent me before?  Not sure, but that might have been in Glenkeen (next door townland to Cullycapple - but opposite Mullaghinch).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »
"My great granda's name was Charlie Leeke; he came to Mullaghinch in 1869 when he was 17 years old. He came from Magilligan and he left there because there was no work for him there. He got married late in life at the age of fifty in the year 1902.
"My granda was born in 1904 and his father was a haulier when granda was a boy. He had a big Clydesdale horse and cart and hauled milk and goods from the train at Aghadowey station, and he hauled stones to different places. We [He] took them to such places as Mullaghmore Chapel and other buildings which were being built at that time.
"From photographs which I have seen of my great grandparents, my great granda had a white walrus moustache and white hair. My great grandmother's name was Jane."

There's quite a few pages- too much (and some too recent) too put here but I can send it to you offline when I get my scanner re-connected to computer if you are interested.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
The Lyttle place - was that not what we know as Rose Lodge?

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
LEEKE and WILKINSON
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 November 09 15:38 GMT (UK) »
More than likely - the Lyttle's had 2 farms side by side so maybe one was the "Lodge" and one the "Cottage".  Equally my source could have mistaken Cottage for Lodge ::)