Author Topic: Thomas ap Edward, of Llanymynech, d. 1652  (Read 4071 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Thomas ap Edward, of Llanymynech, d. 1652
« on: Tuesday 09 February 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a bit of help as to where might be a good idea to look for further info on a Thomas ap Edward.

Thomas ap Edward, died April 1652 and his will lists him of being in Llanymynech. His will was one of the Cantebury lot, as he owned at least 4 or 5 lands and manors. The only ones of these I know for certain was in Llanslin in Denbighshire and another in Aylesbury, Shropshire, the others I need to decipher from the wills, but they are probably of the Welsh Marches. His wife was Gwen, who died 1666-1667. He had at least seven children: Edward, Thomas, Elinor, Elizabeth, Anne, Ales & Jane. The descendants of Edward Edwards lived in Llwydtidmon, nr. Maesbrook for many years.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how to get back further. I would have thought that he would appear in some Welsh pedigree books and would imagine it is likely his father left a will.

The only possible lead I have for a father is an Edward ap Thomas.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas ap Edward, of Llanymynech, d. 1652
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

I've managed to follow one of my lines back so that I have linked into the Welsh pedigrees in the Griffiths book:

Pedigrees of Anglesey and Caernarvonshire Families with their collateral branches in Denbighshire, Merionethshire and other parts by J. E Griffith of Bangor Univerisity in 1914. It has been Reprinted twice by Bridge Books, Wrexham.  ISBN 1-872424-63-5

I assume that you've tried the Nat Lib online  Archives  (ISYS)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 05:38 GMT (UK) »

Some of the pedigree MSS have been uploaded onto the "Community Trees" section of the LDS site (select the Welsh option at the foot of the Trees dropdown on the search screen).  But I am pretty hesitant about vouching for its accuracy of transcription or Welsh comprehension.

Still,  per that finding-aid there seems to be at least one family based in the township of Llwyntidman mentioned in the Joseph Morris pedigree collection,  held at Shrewsbury RO.  The same people may well be in other collections too.

As Gadget says,  it is well worth looking under Llwyntidman in ISYS (which seems to be offline ?for maintenance as I type).  I think Thomas's modern index to Wynnstay MSS 143-144 is also online via that search interface.*  (With Welsh names it is usually easier to search with the house or township name than with the surname,  as I am sure you realise -- though one can sometimes successfully combine the two.)

This was the LDS sub-screen -- mentioning a Thomas ab Edward of Llwyntidman -- where I ended up (don't know whether it will turn out just to be a temporary address for my own search that then expires . . . ): click.  But if you find that it is a dead link,  you should be able to reach it via the search screen as per the first para of this post.

Rol

* Fair chance the family is recorded there too,  as it was Morris who made the transcript that now survives as MSS 143-144,  working from the lost original that was destroyed,  with much else,  in the great fire at Wynnstay.

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the references Gadget, I will follow those up. There are a few others that may help others that I found in a leaflet:

P C Bartrum, Welsh Genealogies A.D. 300-1400
P C Bartrum, Welsh Genealogies A.D. 1400-1500
J A Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire
G T Clarke. Limbus Partrum Morganiae et Glamorganshire
Lewys Dwnn, Heraldic Visitations of Wales
J E Griffth, (already mentioned)
J Y W Lloyd, History Powys Fadog
T Nicholas, County Families of Wales

And, thanks to Rol aswell. Llwyntidman / Llwyntidmon / Llolytidmon etc. is a small township of a handful of abodes, so I think you have got the right person. The descendants of Thomas ap Edward mentioned a Howell Tanatt in their wills, once as an uncle & the link you have given me shows a Elizabeth verch Thomas married to a Hywel Tanat, so I guess that is the sealant on that :)