Author Topic: where could this photo have been taken?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where could this photo have been taken?
« on: Thursday 11 February 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I have this family photograph which was sent to me and I would love to know where it was taken. I believe they must be attending a wedding. It was taken by the Royal Thames Company from abingdon around 1880/1890.  I wonder if this could be in a churchyard. All the family come from berkshire, so I wonder if anyone recognises this churchyard? It is a long shot, so if nobody knows, it doesn't matter. Just thought it's worth asking!
Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: where could this photo have been taken?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Have you got the marriage certificate ? surely it would say on there !

Gem x
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline B17_Fan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
I don't have the marriage certificate because I don't know whos wedding they are attending. It's a shame though because i'd love to know!

Steptoe  Morland  Morley  Ellis  Brewer  Seymour  Davis  Kempster  Cox  Jennings  Morgans  Edwards Powell Thatcher Brewer Withers Ferris Strode Kingston Goddard Heath Fishlake

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
Well, the place to start is the photographer. Somebody & Andrew, Royal Thames Studio, Abingdon. I wouldn't have thought they would be all that far away from the studio. Probably on the Thames riverside. Some-one might be able to help out with where that studio actually was located in the town.

It might even be listed here;

http://www.cartedevisite.co.uk/

I shall leave that job to you though  ;D

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 August 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The photographer was Frank Warland Andrew, Royal Thames Studio in Abingdon.

I was having a look on the census and in 1891 Warland Andrew was still only 19 and living in Dorset (birth: 1872 Sherborne Dorset) although he is listed as a 'photographer'.

By the 1901 census he is living in Abingdon and is a 'photographer' 'own account'. So you might want to revise the dates you have for your photo?

If you google 'Warland Andrew' you can find quite a few bits and pieces.

Not sure if it will help in your quest to identify your photo but hope it helps!

Meriel
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline Carladoyle1979

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking into Abingdon Local photographers as I need to find a pic of one of the streets around 1900, so I came across Frank Warland Andrew as having an address at 1 Stert Street Abingdon 1893 - 1927, I am not sure if this is his personal address or the company address.  I am trying to find a collection of his pics.  Hope this info is of some use in your search.

Carla