Author Topic: ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland  (Read 12459 times)

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • I shall have to go back through the looking-glass
    • View Profile
ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland
« on: Friday 12 February 10 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fellow Searchers,
In your research have you come across the surname ROBIN?   What Clan does the ROBIN surname belong to?

In search of Robin grave sites in Glasgow, Scotland and London, England.

After finding the wills of Robert ROBIN and his brother George Robin I found reference to the purchase of a total of 5 lairs at the EASTERN NECROPOLIS and Janefield cemetery in Glasgow. Plus I have record that my grandfather, William Robin purchased lairs A507-A540 at Cardonald Cemetery in 1920.

My grandfather was:
William ROBIN Jr., Engineer/Automobile Mechanic (1874-1963) of Pollokshields, Glasgow. His stepfather was James Buchanan Gilkerson (birth circa 1845 in Ryegate, Vermont of Scottish parents died 1920 at the Mason's Old Home of Kentucky).
His father was William ROBIN Sr., Master Gunpowder Manufacturer (1848-1874) Robert Robin & Son.
His grandfather was Robert ROBIN, Wine & Spirit Merchant (1818-1877) Robin & Hutcheson, Robin & Houston Soaps & Candles.
Robert ROBIN had siblings by the names Peter x2, Walter x2, Robert, Matthew, William and George 1805-1888.
 Granduncle Walter ROBIN, Leather & Hide Merchant retired and died in the city  Bridge of Allan (1861-1936). Robert Robin's two sons and a brother took a leisure boat trip on the Clyde and drowned in 1877.

My grandfather's mother was Jane Neilson daughter of John Neilson elder brother of James Beaumont Neilson.  K

Sometimes this really gets very confusing but fascinating!

My reason for searching is that I recently got in contact with my cousin who is looking for his father's burial site. My thinking was if we could find where our grandparents graves are we may find my uncle's resting place.

Re:
British Merchant Seaman
Arthur John Robin 
R109897

DOB 20/03/1915
Born in  Gorbals, Glasgow, Scotland
DOD 24/04/1953
Died at Greenwich Seaman's Hospital, Kent, England

Oh forgot to mention that a very dear person (retired British Merchant Navy Seaman) a good Samaritan in Glasgow found a Robin Lair at Cardonald Cemetery. My Aunt Hannah (1909-1932), two Uncles who died in infancy, John McIntyre second husband of my Grand-Aunt Catherine Neilson Robin who resided in Dornoch are buried there.

Any other information or suggests would be greatly appreciated about the Robin family of Glasgow, Scotland.
Sending my 'curiouser & curiouser' thoughts through the looking-glass.
Karola

Robin  =O:> Glasgow, Scotland and England
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
       Buchanan Gilkerson [of Kentucky],
               Meikljohn, Eltze.
Walter Robin 1719-1784 & Isabel Gardner 1724-1769

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline Shandonman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROBIN Family of Glasgow, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 April 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

You found the will of my Great Grandfather, George Robin and your details fit with my records except that William and Robert's sons James and Walter drowned while trying to ford the Clyde between Langbank and Dumbarton.  The family were known as Roben and farmed in the Milngavie region from 1425.  The tree starts with Matthew Roben(1678) and Jean Gardener and the time in Rygate Vermont is well documented

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/ryegate/roben.htm

All the research is not mine but happy to discuss further.  Renfrew Parish Church has tombstones raised by Matthew Robin(1799) to his parents William and Margaret Park and Margaret Lang his first wife.  The adjacent stone was raised by my Great Grandfather George to his first wife.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 April 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
HELLO!

How amazing!
I have many documents from Scotland's People. It is really exciting to see the actual names and connect the ancestors. Nice to hear from you.

Yes, William Robin & Margaret Park our my maternal Great-great-great-grandparents. Here are a few clips of old documents.

Have death documents of the brothers and uncle who drowned in the Clyde in 1877. Also have many other birth/death/marriage records and a few wills/testatments. Love seeing and reading these records written in various scripts.

Thanks for the link to Electric Scotland. Great, I see some familiar dates and names. My Great-grandmother Jane Neilson Robin widow of William Robin married an American-Scot (John Buchanan Gilkerso) from Kentucky his parents were born in Ryegate and Barnet, Vermont. My Grandfather came with his mother and sister to Crab Orchard Springs, Kentucky in 1883. When his mother died in 1884 he was sent back to boarding school in Scotland in care of his Uncle Walter. He did return to New York with his first wife and returned back to Glasgow after about three months in 1896. I remember he told me about being in America before me and that he saw real 'Indians and Wild West men in buckskins'. Daniel Boone country he called it.

What is the inscription on the memorial stones of William Robin & Margaret Park? Where is it located? I live in Southern California, USA.  I would love to do further research at the Michell Library; however, my travel days are over due to hip replacement and osteoarthritis.

May I use the photo of WR/MP grave stone for my family tree? Thank you for responding! I was wondering if  I had gone through the looking-glass only to find nothing.
 Are we cousins: second third or once twice removed or however that works? How exciting!
Best regards,
Karola
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

...if I don't make haste, I shall have to go back through the looking-glass...back into the old room-and there'd be an end of all my adventures! .

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 April 10 01:18 BST (UK) »
 ??? Ooops! What happened to the attachments got a note saying they were not accepted. I'll try a different clip and see if that works if not I'll send them via PM.

Here goes:
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 April 10 01:29 BST (UK) »
??? Ooops! What happened to the attachments got a note saying they were not accepted. I'll try a different clip and see if that works if not I'll send them via PM.

Here goes:
Well I have attempted to attach the first page of George Robin's will but file too large.

On the Robert Robin 1877 death record you will note the top entry. His parents were William Robin , Property Owner and Margaret Park.

Last residence of George Robin 1888 res: 45 St. Vincent Crescent which is now a B&B restored Victorian Home:Location : On the edge of both the city centre and the west end  directly opposite the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) and close to the Kelvingrove Art Galleries and Museum, Glasgow University and only 5 minutes from the M8. We are conveniently close to both of the main railway lines and 15 minutes from Glasgow International airport. Noted bowling green across street. Three story registered Historic Bldg. See Google Maps

Will lists all Estate holdings, Shares and ownership of Soap/Candle, Spirit an Wine Shopes in Glasgow, mines,railroads, steamships in England, Scotland and America, none in Ireland, Partnerships and people owing debts to Robert Robin, Eastern Necropolis
1888  Lair:1014  (1014-17) plus in lair 1015 son George age 24 9 Oct 1896 and lair 1016 third wife Jane Currie 25 Dec 1911

Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline Shandonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Nice to meet you on line and thanks for your information re lairs which was new to me.  Although I was aware of George Robin's will I had not yet downloaded it as it is very large. 
As a Glaswegian I regularly pass St Vincent Crescent and their subsequent home round the corner as well as their later mansions in the southern suburbs - and wonder where the wealth went.  I enclose a shot of the inscription of the other stone at Renfrew and will get details of the ones next to it although they are on line at "monumental inscriptions".  There is also a wee stone to his 3 yr old daughter who died when he returned from Wisconsin after the death of his second wife and 3 other children.
File is too large, will photoshop it later and resend.
I am off on holiday but will have access to internet and can advise that the main player in this tree has said she would be happy to talk with you although she does not do internet.
Finally, my father's sister is still in Glasgow age 92 with clear memory.

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 April 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Nice to meet you too.
I'm sure our ancestors are smiling down on us. Maybe even having a wee giggle at our attempts to piece their lives into a time-line. They must be happy that we are curious about their efforts and achievements and that we remember and cherish  their struggles and achievements.
Best regards,
Karola

P.S. I have a record of George and Matthew Robin's death record plus a few other records if you would like I can send them to you via private message if you are interested. K
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.

Offline Rosegum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 August 10 05:22 BST (UK) »
A friend and I are both descendants of Walter ROBIN & Isobel GARDNER who
married in 1746.  Our lines have remained connected with that ROBIN family
right up to the 20th Century, so we were interested to read of your connection to the family.

Through the Walter ROBIN Trust documents we have some information about William ROBIN’s
& Marion Cameron MASON’s family but would like to know more.  From the same source we have transcripts of the MC of Arthur John ROBIN & Doris Selina DAVIES and of the BC of their son Christopher.

We are also interested in William’s 1st marriage to Helen BURNS in New York in 1896
and in what happened to their family after Helen’s death. Do you know anything about this family?

Offline weeknightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 02:21 BST (UK) »
A friend and I are both descendants of Walter ROBIN & Isobel GARDNER who
married in 1746.  Our lines have remained connected with that ROBIN family
right up to the 20th Century, so we were interested to read of your connection to the family.

Through the Walter ROBIN Trust documents we have some information about William ROBIN’s
& Marion Cameron MASON’s family but would like to know more.  From the same source we have transcripts of the MC of Arthur John ROBIN & Doris Selina DAVIES and of the BC of their son Christopher.

We are also interested in William’s 1st marriage to Helen BURNS in New York in 1896
and in what happened to their family after Helen’s death. Do you know anything about this family?

Hello RoseGum,

RoseGum, are you Australian or have Oz connections? The name gives me visions of beautiful fragrant eucalyptus trees.

How nice to hear from some one who is interested in researching family origins. Please use the little green scroll on the left to private message me.

The first paragraph you are talking about my grandparents. Christopher is my cousin. In the second paragraph are you referring to Walter Robin (1861-1936) brother of William Robin Sr. sons of Robert Robin?

Interesting family history with many questions. At this time I'm some what busy editing photos and videos from my son's trip. I have not been on these sites as frequently as usual.

Best regards,
K

little Robins looking for their nest
Cameron, Mason, 
  Beaumont Neilson,
               Meikljohn, Eltze.