Author Topic: Duncan McDonald c1763-1857  (Read 16991 times)

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duncan McDonald c1763-1857
« on: Friday 12 February 10 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Duncan McDonald is a G5 ancestor on my father's mother's side.  I believe he was born in 1763 in Moidart, Inverneshire and died on 16 February 1857.  I think he was married to Margaret McPherson and I think the children were Archibald, Angus, Angus Dougal, Alan, Alexander, Donald, John, Peter, Mary, Margaret, and Anne. 
I would appreciate any info regarding Duncan's ancestors.
I am living in Melbourne, Australia and could provide further info to anyone who is interested in the Australian branch of Duncan McDonald.

regards

WASL

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Duncan McDonald c1763-1857
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 10 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Did he die in Scotland? If so his death cert would give his parents names and you can get that online off Scotlandspeople.

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 10 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rainbowuk & thanks,

My Duncan McDonald died in Australia (Mohawk Station, Maclaughlan River, NSW) on 16 February 1857.  I'll have another go at the Australian death sites.

Regards

WASL

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 10 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi WASL

This provides some family info that might help www.monaropioneers.com/nimmitabel/pioneers/mcdonald-duncan.htm

The family are showing here as Roman Catholic so it will be harder to find out historical details about them as most of the info for this period relates to the established Church of Scotland (presbyterian). By the look of it, the family also look to have left Scotland just before the first census in 1841.

You might want to check the recently available records on Scotlands People for Roman Catholic Baptisms to see if anything may show there. RC Marriages are due to be released on the site early this year.

I lost many many months of my life researching MacDonalds in Moidart who were also Roman Catholic  ;D You have probably come across this site already, but just in case you haven't www.moidart.org.uk

Monica  :)

Added: There are also numerous member family trees on this line on Ancestry and a LDS submitted Pedigree file with contact details on Family Search www.familysearch.org
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MonicaLesl,
I had come across the monaropioneers site and this was very helpful in making the links between my paternal grandmother and Duncan.  Interestingly, sometime in Australia there was a switch from Catholic to Protestant.
Thanks for the other two sites to look at.
Regards
WASL

Offline Karen60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 February 10 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I came across this site when I was searching my ancestors 'Macdonalds & Macphersons' in Invernesshire and found the site quite interesting so thought I would post you the link.

http://www.sonasmor.net/AGM_menu.html

Offline WASL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen60

Offline ianrwn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 May 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Wasl,
                  Duncan McDonald was my wife's 4th great grandfather on her mothers side, which runs through Donald McDonald + Catherine McDonald to == Ann McDonald + Thomas McAlister to == Catherine McAlister + John Michael Cuningham to== John Thomas Cunningham + Martha Stein to== Brenda Cunningham + Vincent Frederick Heaton to== Margaret, my wife. I have just found the Monaro site in the past few weeks which hastened my search along Quite a bit. I have a lot of information on those families I have mentioned as well as other connecting families. A lot of the McDonalds went to the area around Mohawk Station which is near Nimmitabel/Cooma. Our Donald McDonald and the McAlisters, Steins and Cunningham's all lived north of Goulburn, making Goulburn their main Centre. One of the McAlisters wrote a book which covered a lot of history for that area specifically and Southern NSW generally, from about 1820 till 1905. The book is available to download from the NLA site. I am in Queensland and we may be of help to each other.
I look foreward to hearing from you.===
                                                    Ian
Irwin, Ramsay, Witherow, Mullan.

Offline GiveWay1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone who has contributed to this forum,

I am the great great great grandaughter of Allan McDONALD who came to Australia on the William Nicol in 1837. For years I have been trying to find where Allan was born. He married Annie McDONALD before leaving Scotland via the Isle of Skye.

Tonight I was advised by a researcher that Allan was born in Oct 1810 in Kinlochmoidart, Inverness, Scotland. I surprised by this information as I have spent many years trying to find it. So I have decided to check it out and found that the information came from a rootsweb page.

It lists Allan as the son of Duncan McDonald and Margaret McPherson. As the links are followed down the marriage of Allan's son Angus to Mary Lulham is listed. That information is correct as I have there marriage certificate for a marriage 25 April 1860 in Brookfield NSW.

The page also list Angus as having a brother, Allan Jnr who I have no record of at all. There were other brothers and sisters but no Allan as far as I know.

So my problem really comes down to this page that is out there. The other thing is that I have Allan's death certificate and it lists his parents as Isabella Cameron and Alexander McDonald. Admittedly, Allan died in Inverell and the only family with him, apart from his wife were his daughters who lived in the area. I guess it means questioning again the validity of the information regarding his parents.

We live on the North Coast of NSW and have always known of the Monaro McDONALDS, have always been told we were related but with no proof...

So I guess I am wondering if anyone has any insight into the Allan listed as Duncan and Margaret's son? I am also keen to know how to contact people who submit files to rootsweb.

Any help/advice would be gratefully received.
Cheers ???