Author Topic: Hillicks help needed  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Steven1314

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hillicks help needed
« on: Friday 12 February 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi tracing another branch of my tree and have got stuck.

Trying to trace some more information on William Hillicks. I have him on the 1871 census in Govan in Partick in Glasgow. On 10/10/1871 he marries a Bessy Kerr but she must die early because in 1876 he marries a Jane Stevenson. I have him on the 1881 census and 1891 census and 1901 census and his death is recorded as 2/11/1920 aged 79. I therefore place his birth at circa 1840. His parents are listed as James Hillicks and Ann Matthews.

However the trail dies as I cannot find him on the 1861 census, 1851 census or 1841 census or a record of his birth. His second wife Jane Stevenson's birth is listed as Ireland in the various censuses and William's birth place is given as Greenock Renfrewshire.

Can anyone help me. It is an unusual name mostly listed as Hillicks apart from 1891 when listed as Hillocks. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the family came from Ireland. I cannot find his parents on the earlier censuses.

The earliest census I have him in is in 1871 living as a lodger in Partick in Parish of Govan

Thanks

Steven

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Hillicks help needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records