Author Topic: Infected file on GenesReunited  (Read 21865 times)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Infected file on GenesReunited
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
My router has the ability to block ads, but at the moment the option is not switched on  :)

Nice router....what make/model....sounds like a good one?

It's a Draytek 2820.  Two ADSL lines in, line balancing.   Unfortunately it knows a lot more about networking than I do  ;D

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Well I've just waded through a load of techie squabbling on this thread and all I really wanted to know was whether it would cause a problem with my computer and if and when it's safe to go back in GR.

Don't care if it's a or a (couldn't find a pic of a worm) or even a , I just want to know when it's safe to go back in.

It always has been, Roobarb, for those of us with clean computers and decent firewalling  ;)

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Well seeing as I'm not one of the techies I've obviously got a dirty computer. Must say I haven't had any probs before though.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Thursday 18 February 10 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I know everyone is saying that GR is fine and I accept that BUT...

I have virus checkers and firewalls coming out of my ears.... I got a blocked trojan message from my virus checker when all I had done was reply to a GR message. I didn't log onto the site or access an ad ro anything - I just responded to the email that said I had a message - it loaded it in GR - I replied to it and BANG - blocked Trojan....

I did, of course, scan my system afterwards and run all the malware-checking software such as MalwareBytes etc and there was nothing on my PC. I would have been staggered if there had been anything on my PC , given the way I run it.

So - what raised the Trojan message? It wasn't anything lurking on my PC and nothing else apart from GR raises the error.  I'm not sure how people can be as confident as they are that there's nothing amiss on the GR site  ???

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Thursday 18 February 10 06:06 GMT (UK) »
What I am saying Steve is that when people hover over a name/link on their update list then it might not contain the standard link.

I obviously need someone that has had a problem to confirm whether that is true or not.

Just to re-iterate Genes Reunited is not infected with malware.

I see what you`re after now, but my advice re short links is still valid.

& I agree with your comment re GR.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Thursday 18 February 10 06:08 GMT (UK) »

It's a Draytek 2820.  Two ADSL lines in, line balancing.   Unfortunately it knows a lot more about networking than I do  ;D

Nice, I`ll have a proper read later, have to get to work early then get to another site because there was an accident late yesterday & I`ve been asked to pop in & have a look.

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Thursday 18 February 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I know everyone is saying that GR is fine and I accept that BUT...

I have virus checkers and firewalls coming out of my ears.... I got a blocked trojan message from my virus checker when all I had done was reply to a GR message. I didn't log onto the site or access an ad ro anything - I just responded to the email that said I had a message - it loaded it in GR - I replied to it and BANG - blocked Trojan....

I did, of course, scan my system afterwards and run all the malware-checking software such as MalwareBytes etc and there was nothing on my PC. I would have been staggered if there had been anything on my PC , given the way I run it.

So - what raised the Trojan message? It wasn't anything lurking on my PC and nothing else apart from GR raises the error.  I'm not sure how people can be as confident as they are that there's nothing amiss on the GR site  ???

Regards

Angela

Out of interest, what virus checker and firewall are you using ?

Some anti-virus programs throw up "false positives".  At one time, AVG was well known for this, and MacAffee has had its moments too.  The mark of a good AV program isn't limited to how effective it is at finding malware, it's also about how effective it is at ignoring false-triggers, and how much strain it puts on the computer whilst doing it.

We know that the site isn't responsible, because similar things are being seen on other unrelated sites, and since many of us (including myself) have visited the GR site and had no problems at all, and had no virus warnings, then I doubt whether the actual site is responsible.  Web pages are very complex these days, with Flash, scripting and IFrames, etc, and it's quite easy for scammers and hackers to exploit these.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Thursday 18 February 10 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I didn't log onto the site or access an ad ro anything - I just responded to the email that said I had a message - it loaded it in GR - I replied to it and BANG - blocked Trojan....

AngelaR

That is what Ankerdine, who originated this topic, said happened to her.  She had an email containing a so-called Updates and clicked on a link and then bang.

If your computer is off-line then dynamic links would have a red cross in the corner because they cannot connect to the website.  In order to display some objects in an email you need to be connected to the website - so therefore you were logged-in when this happened.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 18 February 10 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I didn't log onto the site or access an ad ro anything - I just responded to the email that said I had a message - it loaded it in GR - I replied to it and BANG - blocked Trojan....

AngelaR

That is what Ankerdine, who originated this topic, said happened to her.  She had an email containing a so-called Updates and clicked on a link and then bang.

If your computer is off-line then dynamic links would have a red cross in the corner because they cannot connect to the website.  In order to display some objects in an email you need to be connected to the website - so therefore you were logged-in when this happened.

What I meant was that I didn't log in to GR directly. If you click on the link in the GR email telling you there is a message, it takes you straight to the message (presumably logging you in via some back door). In itself, that didn't cause a problem, nor did clicking on the 'reply' button, but once I'd composed a reply and clicked 'send' - that's when the warning came up.

I'm happy that my computer is not infected - just puzzled as to quite how this occurred. My AV is Kaspersky by the way....
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire