Author Topic: Cain  (Read 2644 times)

Offline margaret elizabeth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cain
« on: Saturday 13 February 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Bernard cain was born in 1893 brooklyn new york, he married may porter 1924  york toronto or ontario
In 1930 they must have gone back to usa as they had two children in new york in the 1930 census of michigan they are there with son bernard cain age 5 yrs and daughter betty age 2 and a half,
would i be able to find out if these children married in later years, father bernard died 1957 oh i found out bernard and may crossed  the border back to michigan in 1925 and sometimes the name cain is comming up as kane any help please, because im trying to find out if any children are living so i may get in touch, thank you

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Cain
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello River,

I too have ancestors in Ontario and Michigan. You likely won't be able to find government records due to privacy restrictions.

However, you can try the local libraries for birth & marriage notices. The Toronto Public Library has a wonderful genealogy department there, York is part of Toronto now. Another avenue you have is local genealogy groups. That is how I located a distant cousin living in northern Michigan. The wonderful person from the club called every one with the last name in the phone book I was looking for and trace it to my cousin. Ended up this person worked with her mom some 50 years before - how coincidental. My distant cousin and I have been in contact ever since :-) Perhaps you can check out the libraries and genealogy clubs in the area where your family is situated in the 1930 census. I believe the 1940 census will be released this year.

I would guess there is a chance the children may be alive albeit elderly. Their children are quite like to be around too. If they have are passed away you can check to see if they are shown in the SSD listing in www.familysearch.com website.

I trust this will be helpful to you. Sometimes we need to be a little creative in our searches :-)

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying,
 I will see if i can try and  see what comes up, i dont live in usa or canada etc,
I live in the ISLE OF MAN ,
 Bernard is the only child born to bernard and bridget cain in brooklyn as these parents are irish living in liverpool england and all the other children befor bernard [ 1893 ] and the three after him were all born in england, as his father was a seaman and his family could travel free, they were over in brooklyn when she gave birth to bernard and came home to england, seems he traveled back to usa later in life,

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Where did Bernard die in 1957?  There is a death registered for Bernard Thomas Cain (his full name on his marriage registration to May Porter) in Vancouver at age 64 on 19 Jan 1957. 
#1957-09-001509  B13231 (GSU #2033147)
If this is your Bernard and you don't have the details you can always modify the Subject Line of your post and request a BC Lookup for this death.  That would give you details and the name of the informant which might prove useful.  These records aren't online.  People who live in BC and have access to library records volunteer to look up details.

Debbie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is him,
 can you tell me what i do now, you say to ask for a  bc how or where do i do that please

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 10 21:39 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/081h/

This is the link to his death in the online BC Vital Statistics page.  The numbers quoted in my previous reply are those needed to look up his record.

In order to alert people who have access to BC records that you would like their assistance click on the Modify button on the upper right of your post and then change the subject line from Re: Cain to something that includes a request for a lookup in BC Vital Statistics records.

Debbie

Offline hattieghost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 10 02:27 GMT (UK) »
I should have read all the follow-ups to your question.  *S*  Yes.  Cornelius Hupton is buried at the Princeton Cemetery in Block 11, Section H, Lot 13.  DOD is August 13, 1930 (Black Wednesday).  If I can help you with anything else, let me know as I live near Princeton.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 10 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hattieghost,

I think your reply was accidentally made on the wrong thread. 

I don't mean to butt in; however, you may want to copy and paste your reply to the Princeton burial thread as I'm sure that Delta59 would love to get this burial info.

Susan