Author Topic: Prison of war  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Madmaxi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Prison of war
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just discovered a relation who was a pow in Stalag between 1939 to 1945.  I got this info eg regiment, pow number, camp type from ancestry.  Not sure where to go from here. 

Any ideas please :-\

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prison of war
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:54 GMT (UK) »
for some reason I thought the salvation army had records, but surfing produced this guide on the national archive website:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britishpowsecondworldwar.htm
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
There were  alot of Highlanders captured at St Valery in 1940 just after the Dunkirk evacuation and these went to various Stalags   I have the Service record of one who was in the Seaforths but there is nothing in relating to his time as a POW... he is simply posting as missing in June 1940 and then the Red Cross informed the authorities that he was a POW and when he was transferred to other Stalags..

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My father was in  The Cameron Highlanders. He was captured at St.Valery/Abbeville. when the 51st (Highland)Division fought the rearguard action.
If your relation was in The Seaforth or Cameron Highlanders the Regimental Museum at Fort George near Inverness has some limited information.
His service record will still be held by the army, but only close relations are permitted to access these details. The place to contact is at Kentigern House in Glasgow. They will be able to tell you whether you are able to gain access.
I have just received a letter from The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) with details of what they held on my father. If you have enough information they may be able to give you something. (Name, date of birth, regiment etc.). They have a website where you can e-mail them the details, but it can take a few months to get a reply.
If your relation was captured at St. Valery the may have ended up in Stalag VIIIb in Lamsdorf. If you type Stalag V111b into your search engine you will find plenty of info about that particular camp.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Millsopp - Armagh - Lanarkshire,
Carroll - Sligo - Glasgow,
Donnelly - Donegal - Fort William - Glasgow, O'Donnell - Donegal,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Zeebra,
He was Cecil Boyd MacPherson and he joined the Seaforths in 1926 and I did obtain his service record with the help of the museum and this is now with his grandson.
I remember that he was repatriated during the war having spent a year in hospital.
rom memory his Stalag numbers were higher each begining with X and some xx
His service record shows he was a Platoon Sergt Major and service record had Exemplory written over it... I looked for his charge sheets and there were none... My fathers service record with the Manchesters has several pages of charges..
Thank you for the information about the Red Cross.. I will contact them.

Offline Madmaxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help.

Maxine