Author Topic: Wisconsin marriage and birth records  (Read 2756 times)

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wisconsin marriage and birth records
« on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Are there any free sites where I might find this info. Looking for any family of Gordon James Wood.. Milwaukee Wisconsin. Have personal pics and papers would like to see family get them. Any help greatly appreciated  Thank You  alb
Blenman Gollop Doran Taylor Gordge Way

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wisconsin marriage and birth records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 10 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi alb,   you don't give a timeframe so don't know if this will be of help or not.    Index is free but there is a fee for ordering the cert

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/vitalrecords/

It is an interesting website --   go to Home  and there is much more.

Good luck!

lissaM

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Thanks for the re. I really didn't want to go through any expense. His name was Gordon James Wood he married Jean S. arround 1930s He went to war 1943 and never went back to his family. Was trying to find his two sons if they are still alive  One was (*)
the other not sure. Would like to get these old papers and pics to someone  Thanks again  alb

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Did he die in the war or did he die later on?  Do you know what branch of the service he was in?  Was Gordon born in Wisconsin?  Was he living in the US prior to his marriage to Jean?  Any idea of Jean's age? 

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
HI  He sometimes went by James G Wood he died 1961 he was in the US army. Have no Idea of Jeans age probably about the same as his  He was born 1904 He was married to my aunt she just died she was 100 years old  Thanks for the re hope I can find someone these things might be important to someone   alb

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Did he die in the US or elsewhere?

There is a birth record for a James G. Wood born 25 Aug. 1904 in Milwaukee Co.  Does that match up with what you know?  In the 1910 Census, there's a 5 yr. old James G. Wood living in Milwaukee with parents Wm. E. and Hilda and sister Louisa, age 4.  I'm not finding any subsequent census records that seem to fit James G./Gordon J. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
A WW2 Draft has James G Wood 1904. Natiive of Wisconsin. Enlisted in Michigan. Unfortuately no scan which would have been useful.

Sorry WW2 enlistment - not that it made alot of difference - since it said nothing.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
That's an army enlistment form, not a draft record, so I think the original was just a punch card as described here:  http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2006/spring/aad-ww2.html  It says he was residing in Cook Co. Illinois.  If they married there, there are some vital records indexes at www.cookcountygenealogy.com, but I don't see any likely marriages for James/Gordon and a Jean in the 1930's.

Offline al b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
HI  The birth date matches The sister dosen't he had a twin sister Lenore  His mom's name was wilda  that is close I think we are getting close Didn't know his fathers name Got a pic of him just says Dad. I don't have his enlistment papers have a discharge