Author Topic: Challenge to all you puzzle-solvers out there!  (Read 9730 times)

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Challenge to all you puzzle-solvers out there!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 May 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have obtained the second child's birth certificate (arrived today) and it gives her mother's name as Hannah Arthur formerly Roberts.  This is great, as it narrows down the years in which Elizabeth died and Hannah became Mrs Arthur No 2.  The certificate also gives the name of the house where they were living, which is great (I think it's now a pub, but need to double check).

HOWEVER, as one puzzle is solved, another arises!! :P
George's occupation on the 1871/81/91 and 1901 census returns is given as Police Constable/Police Officer.  So in 1871 he was a PC but in 1873 when his daughter was born he gives his occupation as Farmer!!  Could he have given up his job as a Policeman when Elizabeth died??  

There are also curious markings on the birth certificate, CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THEM PLEASE?  George's forename is written as John, then crossed out and a small 2 written above John, with George written above and to the right.  At the side of the last column, there is a note which I can't decipher - looks like "Two T.W. ???Reg"  I don't have a scanner, so can't attach it sorry, but any ideas?

???
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 May 04 22:44 BST (UK) »
In Scotland on a registery you often get numbers and cryptic abbreviations that often refer to a corrections log when the registrar has made a mistake.

Not sure if this is similar in your case?

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 May 04 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pam - that may well be the case - I'm probably looking too deeply and creating more trouble for myself!  

This George has been a bugbear of mine ever since I found him, but I think I may now have found his birth registration record and am eagerly awaiting the birth certificate.  If the birthplace given on the certificate is what I hope it is, I'll finally have found the right one and it will help to pinpoint the correct marriage certificates.   :)
Researching

Offline twink

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Researching family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 May 04 23:07 BST (UK) »
Just an idea  but some search engines put the small no. 2 next to a name indicated it is a second name (i.e. middle name)

Peters / Breden / Breeds / Evans + more, Garner / Ensbury / Beaver / Burgess + more, Elrick / Giles / Salmon / Parsons + more, Lucas / Webster / Austin / Chopping + more

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 May 04 23:24 BST (UK) »
It occurred to me it might be a second name (although I've not come across him as George John anywhere else), but would it have been crossed out if it WAS his second name?  If he was George John, maybe I've got the wrong birth details after all????  I shall have to wait and see what the certificate I've ordered says!!

Researching

Offline twink

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Researching family history
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 May 04 00:30 BST (UK) »
Let us hope that any police records he wrote where more accurate than the details given re his age etc etc!!
Peters / Breden / Breeds / Evans + more, Garner / Ensbury / Beaver / Burgess + more, Elrick / Giles / Salmon / Parsons + more, Lucas / Webster / Austin / Chopping + more

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 May 04 20:12 BST (UK) »
And let's hope he had more luck tracing criminals than I'm having tracing him!!   ;D

A horrible thought occurred to me late last night - his middle name may well have been John, as his first-born son was named John Roberts Arthur (Roberts being most likely contender at the moment for his mother's maiden name).  This could mean I've missed him in my search because I've been looking for a plain George Arthur, not a George John Arthur - may be back to the drawing board on that one... :(
Researching

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 June 04 21:36 BST (UK) »
To update you all on my research and pose another question (sorry!)

I have Elizabeth’s death certificate – she died at 24 from consumption..  She WAS formerly Roberts, as was Hannah.  Hannah appears to have married George in 1873 (certificate to be obtained).

I now have a birth certificate for a George Arthur, whose date of birth ties in with the ages given on the 1871 and 1901 census returns BUT his PLACE of birth was not as expected.  It is shown on the census returns as:

1871  Glyn Ceiriog, Denbighshire, Wales
1881  Glyn, Denbigh, Wales
1891  Denbighshire, Glyn  
1901  Denbigh, Glyn

I have been assuming that “Glyn” refers to “Glyn Ceiriog”, as in the 1871 census. However, the birthplaces given for his second wife and eldest daughter in the same transcription are also “Glyn Ceiriog, Denbighshire, Wales”, but I know the eldest daughter was born in Nantyr, Denbighshire, as were subsequent children (as borne out by birth certificate/1891 and 1901 census images).

So, is the 1871 transcription for the family misleading?  Has perhaps the transcriber assumed it was Glyn Ceiriog   ???  Could my George be the one whose birth certificate I have, showing him born in Glyn Triain (very nearby), not Glyn Ceiriog?

What do you all think?   ???(It would be nice if it was him, as he shares a birthday with one of my sons!)
Researching

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 June 04 13:41 BST (UK) »
I know this area of Wales changed boundaries my lot are from Glyn Triain and it is spitting distant (I believe) to Glyn Ceiriog - I think it is the same valley.

See this bit about Pontfadog:-
The new parish of Pontfadog was formed on 15 April 1848, from the ancient parish of Llangollen. It comprised the whole of Glyn Traean - i.e. the townships of Cilcochwyn, Crogeniddon, Crogenwladus, Erwallo, Hafodgynfor, Nantygwryd, Pennant and Talygarth; and the township of Cysylltau from Llangollen Traean. Cysylltau returned to Llangollen in 1870.

With all this activity maybe residents were confused when they filled in their census books?

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!