Author Topic: Looking for 2 VanToll's on honeymoon!  (Read 3114 times)

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for 2 VanToll's on honeymoon!
« on: Friday 18 March 05 22:56 GMT (UK) »
If there is a single Van Toll/VanToll anywhere in England in 1841 or 1851 - he's mine! It's a rare/ 99.99999% non-existant dutch name in the UK at this time.

Here's my dilemma:

I have a marriage in March 1851 Paddington of Henry Delmar VanToll to Emma Mary Lamb (both full age). He resided at Paddington St Mary, she "of the James District". He was a Gentleman/fund holder, possibly 24 or 25 in 1851.

Here is the mystery: I have a death cert for a Henry Delmar VanToll in 1854 (age 28), and a highly suspicious birth of his son Frank Orlando Henry Delmar (no VanToll on his birth cert) was born 3 years later in 1857 (Broad Street, Greenwich)!!!!!! In 1861, widow Emma (b ca 1834, Twickenham) is misread by 1837online as Van Tole and Frank is Frank Delmar, son (maybe small ditto marks are missing under his mother's listing). By the time Frank hits a census in 1871, he's had the VanToll name added and even marries as a VanToll and so life goes on for all the VanToll descendents - but are they VanTolls??

If anyone can search their regional indexes for the married couple in 1851 - maybe they'll be found. I hope they didn't decide to honeymoon in Holland!
Williams, Margot, Beebe, Van Toll, Hunt, James, Pengelly, Haskett, Triggs

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for 2 VanToll's on honeymoon!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 15:09 BST (UK) »
Post Office London Directory (Small Edition), 1852

Henry Van Toll & Co, wine merchants, 23 St. Mary at Hill

What does Frank's birth certificate say - does it just give 'Henry Delmar' as a father?  You might also want to try finding his baptism record since there may be different information on that.

National Archives also has:
HO 1/31/1033
Naturalisation Papers: Van Toll, Henry Delmar, from Holland. Certificate 1033 issued 9 November 1849.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Knowing how hard it was to find info on this family, that's superb detective work. I posted this request a few months ago now and did since find both of those references, but truly appreciate you looking too.

Just to let you know, that I figured out that Frank was illegitimate, as was his brother who was named Alfred with Delmar and Van Toll attached. He died within the same quarter as his birth.

Upon ordering the naturalisation papers (which were fascinating, but didn't lead anywhere) Henry claimed to have had Dutch parents, had only lived in Holland for 6 weeks (to his knowledge), only knew English as a language, had no known living relatives at the time of application, except one aunt that also lived in England - but I know nothing of her whereabouts or name or which which side she born on...etc etc, just 'aunt'.

Still haven't found the happy couple in 1851, but they weren't in Holland then!

Thanks Jorose, I'm sure they'll turn up some day. It's only the blood line to the wife that I'm after now, although I'm definitely still curious to know about the man whose name was passed through my family for 3 generations. Unfortunately, it died out with the birth of girls in the 1920's.

Kind regards, Kirsty

Offline ginairving

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
I don't know how relevant this may be , but my great grandfather was Frank Henry Orlando Delmar Van Toll. He lived in Worthing, West Sussex and owned tobacconist businesses in the town. He is buried in a local cemetery with his wife ,Georgina and my grandparents grave is nearby (she was one of five children, the youngest of whom , Edmund, died in infancy in the typhus epidemic- 1901?)

Is there any chance this could be the same family?

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:05 BST (UK) »
Yes!!!! Blimey! I have much to tell you and documents and newspaper articles. I'll message you.

Offline ginairving

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
Goodness, that was fast. OK, great. I obviously have more bits of information-Emma remarried  (I think) and lived in Worthing too- which I hope will be useful to you.
Fascinating if FHOD was illegitimate: my grandma's  family was ultra respectable!!

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, reading back on the posts, I already said a lot of stuff about them. What just tickled me about this site is that when I hit post on my reply, it automatically converted one of my sentences to blimey! I used the oh my goodness acronym. Must be on the naughty list...

Offline martianuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:28 BST (UK) »
Oh, Irving! Yes, the Irvings are cremated and in the same grave as one of the VanTolls. I need to to root out my files. The Irvings were up north weren't they? Or they moved up north and Georgina died up there while staying or living with them. Ida Kathleen was known as Auntie Bim to my dad and his sister.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 April 13 17:04 BST (UK) »
Marriage Licence - James Ellis bach. and Emma Mary Van Toll widow 9/1/1867 St.Peter Pimlico

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk