Author Topic: st georges hanover square - birth of James Wells  (Read 5173 times)

Offline samatk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
st georges hanover square - birth of James Wells
« on: Monday 15 February 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
hi all
my ancestor James Wells is recorded as  being baptised in the parish of st george hanover square in 1825.  His 8) parents were listed as living at "lancaster court"
it has been suggested that James was born in the local workhouse (this was at Fulham Road I believe). As i don't know the locality (being in Cambridgeshire) would Lancaster Court be in the area of the workhouse?I have looked at the workhouse.org website and am none the wiser...
would there be any records of inmates at that date?
Phillips, Williams, Wells, Freeman, Yates, Butterworth

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: st georges hanover square - birth of James Wells
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the 1841 census street index and Lancaster Court is still there. It is also shown on the index as New Bond Street.

If you want to have  a look around in 1841 it is HO107/733/3/fols. 6-11.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 10 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi - the St George Hanover Square workhouse was in Mount Street, off Park Lane - Mount Street is still there.

In my A to Z of Victorian London (London Topographical Society) Lancaster Court is off New Bond Street (about a quarter of a mile away) and looks like it is the "Lancashire Court" on modern-day maps: http://bit.ly/bVoyKV

Regards
Rob

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't realised there was a workhouse in St George Hanover Square, that explains why I kept finding so many births there whilst looking for my g.grandfather.

Lizzie

Offline slheys

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 March 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
James was my maternal grandmother's grandfather.  He married Ann Elizabeth Russell in Tunbridge Wells (although Ann was baptised to Fanny Gadd before her marriage to Thomas Russell).

I too had found the baptisms of James and Joseph Wells together in 1825 at St Georges Hanover Square.  The transcripts at westminster archives give their actual dates of birth but using Ancestry recently I was surprised to see that the original baptism register doesn't give their dates of birth only that they were the children of Daniel and Sophia Wells of Lancashire Court, which is not far from St Georges.  In 1815 their sister Sarah was also baptised at St Georges.

Having made a connection with the Wells family of Wisborough Green, Sussex as they too settled in Tunbridge Wells in the mid 19th century and had a Daniel Wells as a cousin being a younger son of of a James Wells of Wisborough Green.  There was no death or marriage for this Daniel Wells in the Wisborough Green registers (I did go to Chichester and check the parish registers) - names and dates fitted and for years I have assumed I had the correct family.

BUT ancestry is now giving access to the burial records too and Daniel Wells of Lancashire Court was buried in 1821 - aged 55.  If this age at burial is correct then the tree I've had for a long time is completely wrong !!!
 ???
Sue

Moderator comment: Images removed as they are subject to copyright
Gates (Hampshire); Wareham (Hampshire/Dorset); Newman (Hampshire/Dorset); Trowbridge (Dorset); Rose (Dorset); Frisby (S.London/Essex); Cutler (S.London/Glos);  Knight (Glos/Somerset); Dean (London), Stubbs (London/Kent); Elliott (London/Sussex); Ellett (London/Devon); Bryant (Bedford); Davies (Bedford); Godfrey (Beds); Wells (london,Kent,Sussex(?)); Heys (Padiham/Hartlepool/Newcastle/London/Rochdale); Butterworth (Burnley); Stow (Devises); Woodroffe (Wilts/Glos); Francis (Wilts);

Offline samatk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 March 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
hi sue

thanks for your post...I'm on ancestry too but hadn't found daniel's death entry ...
I had wondered re the wisboro green connection not to mention the kent connection and I suspect from what you've said that further investigation is required!  Trouble is that there were rather a lot of James wells' kicking about...My dearest wish is that I had an unusually named ancestor but I haven't!
please keep in touch...

samantha
Phillips, Williams, Wells, Freeman, Yates, Butterworth

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
The transcription and images for St Georges Hanover Square on Ancestry are taken from the Bishops Transcripts, they are re-written copies are the originals at the City of Westminster Archives, which contain more detail as you have found, submitted yearly to the Diocese of London.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Alan PENNO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 March 19 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Samantha, I am descended from James' sister Sarah Wells 1808-1896, she married William Henry Jones and they lived in Tunbridge Wells. Their father was Daniel Wells (abt 1765-Jan 1821) and mother Sophia (abt 1778-1859) - no marriage found. The family lived in Lancashire Court between 1815-1825. Daniel was a coachman. After Daniel's death, Sophia married William Hayes in 1826 and he died the following year. I can't find Sophia in 1841, but by 1851 she was living with daughter Sarah in Tunbridge Wells. William Hayes was living at Falconberg Court, less than a mile away, when he died. Regards Alan (Salamander Bay, Australia).

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 March 19 08:50 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism for a Daniel West St.Botolph Aldgate city London 11th May 1766 parents Daniel and Mary.
Address Red Cross Street east Smithfield.
Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk