Author Topic: Le Marchant  (Read 7268 times)

Offline tasha180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Le Marchant
« on: Wednesday 17 February 10 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody,

I am looking for any information on my great-grandfather. I'm afraid I don't know his first name, only that it begins with a H. He was married to Mabel Taylor (1892 - 1977) who was born in Sandwich, Kent. They had one child (my grandfather), Harry Frederick Le Marchant who was born February 1922 and married Marie Anne Behaegel on 25th January 1949.

Natasha

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Le Marchant
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 10 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Harry Frederick Le Marchant b march qtr 1922 in Edmonton 3a 1214 mothers maiden name Taylor...this cert will give you Harrys fathers name
I can only find ONE possible on freebmd
Edward HERBERT C D Le Marchant bSep qtr 1894 in  Dover  2a 944

I can`t find a marriage for any Le Marchant to Taylor ....( one in 1839)

are you sure they married ?.................allan

ADDED....sorry Natasha...just to be safe I checked for WW1 casualties and the Edward H C Le Marchant I gave you was killed in 1916  so I can`t find any Le Marchant associated with the Christian name of H.....allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi tasha,

Welcome to Rootschat :)

You said the first name starts with H, are you sure?

Regards
Leandra

FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

There is a Harry Le Marchant born 1922 Hadley Wood, Hertfordshire on Genes Reunited, but I am guessing you may be the tree owner? ;) You could try moving this post to the Hertforshire board  where the local experts may be able to help, or posting the link to this one on there.
.Leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Ray Ghent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Natasha, we appear to be researching the same 'brickwall'. Mabel Taylor is my grandaunt. I too had made the same mistake believing that Edward Herbert Charles Le Marchant was her husband - no marriage certificate and he died at Rouen, France in 1916. However, Harry Frederick Le Marchant was her son - birth certificate arrived yesterday. It shows Father as Harry Le Marchant, birthplace 12 Crescent East, Hadley Wood. If you visit my  http://ghentgoodfamilytree.org.uk  website you will see the details - including the error as mentioned above. Ray

Offline lindaduncanjohnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 January 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for my dads great grandmother who died after returning from south africa in a large house, belonging to her family in Hadley Wood. I believe her name was Alice Marchant or Le Marchant.
The family lived in Durham and we couldn't work out the connection with Hadley Wood, your post is either the answer or a big coincidence. the family tree is as follows
frederick william phillip farrell (my Dad) born 1932 in Newcastle or middx.to Alice Hands and Frederick Farrell both born approx 1911. Alices father was lieutenant major william phillip Hands from Durham and born about 1880 married Alice Marchant ( or le marchant)( I think this correct from the research i have already done.) she was born about 1890 and died about 1930. they had 3 - 5 children Alice, Mary and George, I don't know the other names. All were very well spoken with no hint of a gordie accent although they came from Durham so I don't know if they where sent away to be educated .When my Great Granddad returned from South Africa and after his wife died he opened a Grocers in Durham which his son George took over after his death My great granddad remarried in Durham and had another daughter May. My nan always said her family had owned a big house in Hadley (near Barnet) where her mother had died and it was near Hadley Wood Railway station. She said the family were well to do but  everything had been left to the wrong brother and was lost in a game of cards. We all took this family legend with a very big pinch of salt as my nan was as poor as a church mouse., but your post sounds a bit like her story.
can you help?   
Farrell, Hands, Marchant, Burgess, Bird, Clark

Offline Ray Ghent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Having read with interest your family history details, I believe this to be a coincidence. However, if you send your email address email address removed by moderator I would be quite happy to send you the details I have, in a report format (.pdf) which may (or may not) give you a clue. Best wishes, Ray

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray and Linda,

You are best to exchange email address by Private Message, just click on the symbol beneath the users profile name.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for my dads great grandmother who died after returning from south africa in a large house, belonging to her family in Hadley Wood. I believe her name was Alice Marchant or Le Marchant.....she was born about 1890 and died about 1930....

Alice MARCHANT was your great grandmother – your father’s grandmother.  This appears to be her death and her husband’s remarriage both registered in the  Durham district.  The death certifcate will give you an address.

Deaths Mar Quarter 1922 

HANDS, Alice
Aged 39
Registration District  Durham
Volume 10a     Page  674

Marriages Dec Quarter 1923 

HANDS, William P
MAUGHAN, Annie
Registration District  Durham
Volume 10a     Page  809

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Alice Hands and Frederick Farrell both born approx 1911.   

Alice is shown as living with her family on the 1911 census at Durham.  We are not allowed to provide information from the 1911, but the free indexes are here http://www.1911census.co.uk/  If you can access the original record you will be able to see ages and places of birth for both William and Alice Snr. and their children

William and Alice appear to have had seven children – after 1912 the mother’s surname was added to the indexes so the last three children are easy to find here http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

This looks like Alice Jnr’s birth registration:

Births Dec Quarter 1908

HANDS, Alice
Registered Lanchester District
Volume 10a  Page  400

The siblings born prior to 1912 are William Philip (c1906 South Africa), Charles Arthur (1907 Birmingham) and George Harold (c1911- I think Registered Atherstone District, Leicestershire/Warwickshire.)

Debra  :)