Author Topic: Charles William Stocks Help Please  (Read 2778 times)

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles William Stocks Help Please
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 05:54 GMT (UK) »
I  am not sure how to to find any more information about Charles William Stocks. Thanks to my own family historians and help from other Chatters I know that Charles was born in Boston Lincolnshire.(between 1787 and 1791).His first wife was Ann Holtby and then he married Mary Byass from the Pocklington area and they had 13 children. Sometime in the 1850's he left for USA and I think he was buried in Summit Waukesha in1869.
There is a Charles Stocks listed as baptised 1790 with only the mother's name, Hannah Maria Stocks. His youngest daughter's name was Hannah Maria, so this is probably the right Charles.  Family history says was bought up by an uncle, who was a banker(or had something to do with money) and he attended Lincoln Grammar.
He visited Ireland at some point in his life and though neither one of his 2 wives were catholic he became a catholic. One of his children were named William Loft Stocks and Charles William Stocks did have bussiness dealings with a William Loft from Grainthorpe, Lincolnshire. Can anyone give me some ideas as to where to take the search for Charles William Stocks 'ancestors ? I can't find the elusive Banker uncle and can see no family link between Loft and Stocks. Thank you.
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Stocks Boston Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 08:36 GMT (UK) »
In my marriage index is

1750 Louth
William LOFT to Elizabeth STOCKS (wid)

The IGI seems to show several children of a William and Elizabeth at Marshchapel from 1758 - just a mile or two from Grainthorpe.

However, they may well be the children of William LOFT and Elizabeth PETCH who married at Keddington (just ouside Louth) in 1758.

Also, perhaps relevant to something
4 April 1815 Grainthorpe
William LOFT to Ann HEATH (wid)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline chrismar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Stocks Boston Help Please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Geoff :) Charles Stocks seems to have named his children after relatives, so William Loft may be a clue.
Boston Linc/Pocklington Yorkshire/Melbourne Aust/Waukesha USA: STOCKS Wales/Maryborough Qld:LEWIS. Stirling Scot/Qld:STIRLING.Houghton Conquest Bed/ Childers Qld:ROBINSON. Boxted Essex/Qld Aust:PAGE.Moraryshire Scot/Pukekohe New Zealand:WATSON
NewZealand:BIRD, BOOTH, HANDLEY&CUMMINS.Hertford: PUTMAN

Offline MelHutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Stocks Help Please
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 November 19 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of the grave of some of charles children who were buried at pocklington if I can find it I will send you a copy. Charles was my gt gt gt grandfather I am descended from his oldest son and first wife Ann Holtby.

Mel