Author Topic: Mary Jessie Cowie and James Sutherland Smith  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Jessie Cowie and James Sutherland Smith
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I recently bought credits on ScotlandsPeople so I was able to find many searches on my family tree. One thing I was stuck on though, is the children of my great-great-grandfathers sister, Mary Jessie Cowie.
She was born 27/3/1881 to William Cowie and Anne Coull, in 80 Seatown, Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland.
She married a man called James Sutherland Smith in West Church, Buckie on 27/3/1907 (her birthday) Her mother died in 1909 and her father in 1911.
Mary Jessie Cowie died of Heart Trouble on 27/2/1951, aged 69 years old. Her husband died 23/3/1949, so she was widowed. When I got her death certificate, I forgot to see who registered it, as it may have been one of her children. If I presume she had none, and then I find out she does have children, then I will have to erase things and fill her children in.
I would be grateful if anyone could find children born to her. Her marriage was registered in Rathven, so it is more than likely her children may be in the Banffshire district.

Offline Maia261

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jessie Cowie and James Sutherland Smith
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 February 10 14:55 GMT (UK) »
If you downloaded the cert from Scotland's People it will be in your viewed images and you can go in and view it again, as often as you like.

I don't understand why you would have to erase your data and start again if you find she had children (which is likely), surely you would just add them to the family in whatever family tree software you are using?

Moray Libindx has your Mary Jessie Cowie, ref NM192346. According to them she died on 27/02/1950 and is buried at Rv(N)103 - Rathven New Cemetery (Burnside Cemetery) with her husband whose Moray Libindx ref is NM189077.

Link to Moray Libindx:

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Smith is a very common name, I myself have dozens of them in my tree from Banff. It would cost anybody a small fortune to go looking for any children on Scotland's People, in any event the latest date you can download births from SP is 1909 so it is highly unlikely you will find any unless you visit the records office in person (GROS in Edinburgh).

Lynn
Mackay – Inverness, Ross and Cromarty & Sutherland
Watson – Inverness-Shire & Ross and Cromarty
Douglas – Inverness-Shire & Moray
Sutherland – Caithness
Kilroe – Inverness & Ireland
Paterson - Banff
Clark – Glasgow & Ireland
Thomson – Caithness
Montgomery – Ross and Cromarty
Allanach – Moray & Glenbucket, Aberdeen
Smith – Banff
McLellan - Glenmoriston & Islay
Harvey – Glasgow & Ireland
Miller – Edinburgh & Caithness
Shearer - Caithness

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 February 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I do use a software online, but I also have a written copy which I am currently doing, so if she had children I would have to include them. I actually visited it back in August, although I was studying another part of my tree then.

Offline rhodamackenzie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 21 12:29 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling we have already communicated about this, but I have all the details in my tree about James and Mary's children, David and Anna.