Author Topic: STANNETT (STANINOT etc) c1600s  (Read 8659 times)

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
STANNETT (STANINOT etc) c1600s
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm following up a tentative trail of my Stannetts over the border from Buckinghamshire.  Initially they were Wooburn area where my last definite Stannett, Richard married Dorothea Nevell in 1688.  I have his christening as 3 Mar 1662 Hurley, Berkshire - not far from Wooburn.  He is the son of a Thomas Staninat and Marye.

This is where I have now come over the border to Herts. I have my Thomas as a son of Thomas Staninat although I can't remember where that came from.  The only Thomas I can find on the IGI is Thomas chr 7 Oct 1610 Hemel Hempstead, the son of another Thomas Staninot.

Most details from Richard on have been confirmed via the various parish regs I hold, a short sub to ancestry etc but the early origins of this family appear to be obscure which surprises me as the surname is not as common as some.  Because of the area they lived, I have 3 counties to consider (ignoring any trail back to London) which makes life very difficult.

My main query is this, has anyone come across the surname Stannett and its variants Staninat,  Staninot, Staninate, Stannynought etc and if so which were the main areas they were in.

I know it's a long shot as this is the realms of medieval genealogy which  is not the easiest to trace (some of mine have gone back centuries others halt in the early 1500s when regs were first introduced.)

Many thanks
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline Tommyfattumy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STANNETT (STANINOT etc) c1600s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steph. I'm a Thomas Stannett. My Stannetts all come from  Burnham Area Slough Area Eaton My Grandfather was a Percy Stannett born 1887. Grandmother was Elizabeth Maine. The picture was a Stannett winning a ploughing competion. Got picture after Bucks search. Have downloaded gedfile on Genes Reunited under Tom Stannett. My Father was a George Reginald Stannett born March 16 died June 05 1992
Have Recently had another Stannett and family been in touch. I am related. I live about 2miles from woburn green Bucks.
Your name came up on a Google Alert. I only registered on Goole yesterday.
Will attach another photo of my late Grandmother on another Post

Offline Tommyfattumy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Here's another.

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 10 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't have a Percy Stannett in my family tree but considering the sizes of the family and the geography it's a safe bet we're related.  My mum's maiden name is Stannett and her family moved away from Eton Wick during her childhood to Reading. Her dad, my grampie, was Oliver Stannett b 1903 Eton Wick, s/o Henry Stannett chr 1874 Eton Wick which would make Henry a contemporary of your Percy. (Dark eyes/eyebrows/hair = definite Stannett!)

Have you seen the photo of Hammer Stannett, my great great grandad at http://www.etonwickhistory.co.uk/pagecowman.html? (George Stannett chr 1846 Sippenham).  I'll have to scan some of my mum's Stannett pics some time as I've just realised I don't have any others.

If you want to PM me with your e-mail address I can extract my Stannett info from my PAF file and e-mail it to you.  I no longer subscribe to Genes R.  Instead I have put my tree up at ancestry as a public tree under the name StannettBrooks.  It would be interesting to see how we fit together.

Kind Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline Tommyfattumy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello. Steph Your George (Hammer) is my great grand father. I tried to post a copy of his winning ploughing certificate to you but file to large for this site. I have been in touch with a Vic Stannet whom joined the RAF the same as me and also a Ros Thorne (nee Stannett) who lives in Australia. I believe they must be your Uncle and Aunt.
Their father was Oliver who was a train driver.
My email:  ****
I only got in touch with Vic late 2009. I found him by accident when looking up for my name in the RAFBE Association. We were both RAF Boy Entrants.   When I checked the Stannett's Tree my side are missing. It's like I did not exist. My fathers birth is on site but his marriage etc missing. I will tell you more when you contact. Ros and Vic been looking for Stannetts. Genes seem to be a con.  Have sent Vic a copy of your message.  Tom

Email addy removed in accordance with RootChat's privacy policy.  Please use our secure Personal Messaging system to exchange private information.  New members will need to have made at least 5 posts before they can receive/send messages.

Offline VinnyHou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Excuse me butting in, but I'm trying to find info on a Richard Stannett - that's all I know!

Attached is the birth cert of my 2x gt. grandfather Richard Andrews, b.24 Oct 1839 Wooburn Green - Father, Richard Stannett a labourer.

Richard Stannett had a 'liason' with Rebecca Andrews.

If this 'rings a bell' would very much like to know more.

Tim

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
This does ring a bell as someone was in contact with me before about this but I think it was a few years ago now and also on the Genes Reunited website which I no longer subscribe to and which I deleted my account so I can't check my old messages :-\.

In my family my 4th great grandfather George Dancer Stannett chr 9th May 1784 Burnham Bucks, bur. 10 Mar 1849 Burnham had the following children:
George Stannett b. c1808 Farnham Royal
Henry Stannett chr 22 Apr 1810 Farnham Royal (my 3rd great grandfather)
Joseph Stannett b c 1811 Farnham Royal
James Stannett b c 1813 Farnham Royal
Richard Stannett b c1815 Farnham Royal

It is possible that your Richard is the above Richard - although I don't have any other details on him.  I've just done a quick check on ancestry (sub due to run out end of April!) and have found:
in the England and Wales Christening Records  1530-1906:
Richard Stannett chr 16 Jul 1815, Farnham Royal.  Father George Stannett, Mother Elizabeth
There weren't any other Richard Stannetts that fitted geographically or timewise for this period so I think this one is your Richard.  My tree is on ancestry as public member tree StannettBrooks so you should be able to look at a certain amount of info for free but I'm always happy to respond directly.

Regards

Steph

Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline stannett29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 June 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
hey everyone im fairly new to all this but have found out quite a bit already.
im trying to find more links.
my father`s name is james fredrick stannett born 1924 reading berkshire.

but so far found that most of my ansestors come from burnham buckingham eaton bucks. as follows.

my grandfather john fredrick stannett born 1890 married edith burton. formaly stanmore.

my great grandfather george stannett born 1850 married harriett young.

my great great grandfather was james stannett born early 1800`s. he married susan elstone and had 6 at least children maybe more these are the one`s that i know of for sure.
alfred stannett,edward stannett,philip stannett,lewis j stannett,elias stannett,& george my great grandfather.

he also had his mother elizaberth living with them on the 1851 census she
was 72 so i estermate she was born around 1779.

many thank`s matthew...

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 June 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Looking at my family tree, I have a James Stannett chr 15 Aug 1813 Farnham Royal, son of George Dancer Stannett and Elizabeth Johnson (see other posts below).  James is the younger brother of Henry Stannett, my 3x great grandfather.  George Dancer Stannett was buried 10 Mar 1849 in Burnham. I have Elizabeth's burial as 1858, remember ages weren't always accurate on census information but I would say it's a strong chance that this is the right one.  You can double check by looking on the IGI at familysearch and also checking out the name on WorldConnect at Rootsweb (both free).  If you have a sub, ancestry is pretty good - I just subscribe for a month every now and then.

From the 1841 census it shows that George Dancer S. worked as an ag lab.
His father William Stannett chr 10 Oct 1756 Burnham was listed in the 1798 Posse Comitatus as a labourer in Burnham (I have a copy of this document).  William was married to Mary Dancer chr 9 Ot 1757 Burnham.

It's interesting to see that your dad was born in Reading, my mum was a Stannett and she was born there as well (daughter of Oliver Stannett).  Personally I think any Stannett that comes from Burnham is related!

Regards
Steph

Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks