Author Topic: The DUNERA Boys:70 Years On  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Siouxsie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grandmother, Myrtle Isabel
    • View Profile
The DUNERA Boys:70 Years On
« on: Saturday 20 February 10 19:06 GMT (UK) »
The National Library of Australia posted this on Facebook

"Our new exhibition, The Dunera Boys: 70 Years On, opened last week and is attracting a huge amount of interest. Everyone, it seems, has a story to tell. So let me tell you mine: my grandfather was one of the Chaplains posted to the Hay internment camp.

On Monday, 22 February, the exhibition’s curator Susannah Helman will be giving an exhibition talk, highlighting some of the most significant items in the exhibition. I’ll be there – hope to see you too. The talk commences at 12.30 pm in the Visitor Centre."

I hope some of you who live in our nation's capital are able to see this exhibition.

Cheers
Siouxsie
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Hutton : Edinburgh, Scotland
Downey : England
Ingram: St George East, Middlesex and New Zealand
Roberts : Grafton, NSW
Blackadder : Grafton, NSW
Gillett : Grafton, NSW
Brocklebank :Carkettle, Lancashire
Bowes : Ulverston, Lancashire
Rose : Bo'ness, Linlithgowshire, Scotland
Kelleher:County Cork, Ireland
Shepherd : Helpringham, Lincolnshire

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The DUNERA Boys:70 Years On
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting this.

I am in Ireland so unfortunately won't be able to attend the talk, but would dearly love to be there.  And this is why..

My father's uncle Thomas Rodgers was born Belfast N Ireland 1898.  At the age of six he was orphaned along with his brothers, of both parents.  He was put in care, and then joined the British Army, again with brothers.  He fought through WW1, and served in India.  He went to Australia, and joined the Australian army at Hay NSW in 1941, and five months later he promptly went missing....

It is a family mystery that was never solved.  I found some of his army record on line at the national archives, and seems he was in trouble (for awal and drinking) so maybe had problems.  But it is hard to believe he vanished without trace, having no death certificate etc.   It is feasable that there are 'diggers' still alive who may recall him, or even a photo of the 16th Garrison Battalion which he joined.

If anyone is attending this talk,could they please spare a thought for this man who led such a sad and unusual life, and for whom no known grave exists.
What is such a mystery is why some man who saw fierce and terrible times in France (brother killed) and fighting in India, should disappear from a prisoner of war camp.

That's my story.  I have almost given up hope of finding out the answer now.
Lucy
Rodgers/Rogers N Ireland and Australia
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland
McKissick  N Ireland and Scotland
Susanna Hall  Belfast N Ireland
Heaney and Dargan Co Down N Ireland
Rose Anne Savage Belfast 1904