Author Topic: robbo43 Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 13728 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Re: robbo43 Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 27 February 10 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks devonblue, I've got a batch of certificates to order so I'll add the Maurice Biddle one to the list. It would be great to find some sort of connection.

Ebch, if a connection shows up then Quakers are one avenue I will explore.  I still feel that other non-conformists are perhaps more likely, you would be surprised at the names Methodists & Baptists use.  Certainly Methodist, Baptist & Congregationalist Chapels in the Brede area couldn't find a Quaker Meeting House.  If she was a Quaker then marrying a soldier would not be acceptable to her family and it could be a reason for changing religious affinities - or had she already fallen out with them and changed her identity - they might not of approved of the acting profession either.  All sorts of possibilities if any of these options are correct.  Could do with that time machine.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 01 March 10 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their efforts on this one.  I knew that it was a very difficult problem when I posted it, and I've got more new leads out of it than I expected.  I'm going to get a couple of Gain certificate to see if they shed any light on the matter, and will let you know the outcome.  I'll also see if I can find out any more about the actress.

Once again, thank you all

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 08:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi Everyone.

It's that time of the week again and here's the new Scavenger Hunt.   Hope you enjoy it.

Good luck and Good Hunting.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,441292.0.html

Barbara

As usual, this Hunt will remain open for any further information which may come in.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Kate Philadelphia Gerrard revisited.
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 27 February 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
This started as a scavanger hunt a long time ago and I thought I should belatedly update it for all those who helped.

This was a search for Kate Philadelphia Gerrard who married Frederick Swales in Aldershot on the 24 April 1905 but who seemingly did not exist before that date. In the 1911 census she gave her place of birth as Brede, Sussex and her age suggested a date around 1878, but there was no one of that name born anywhere near there within a timeframe of a decade or so.

The hunt suggested that one possibility was that she was actually an Philadelphia Gain born in Brede in 1874 (Q3 Rye 2b 9) and that this Philadelphia Gain gave birth to an illegitimate child, Elsie Gain, born in 1897 at 157 Marylebone Road, St Marylebone Female Protection Society.(Q3 Marylebone 1a 594). Elsie seemed to have died in Hastings in 1900 (Q1 Hastings 2b 42a) and it was her death certificate which seems to have confirmed this identification.

Although the certificate was ordered for the name of Elsie Gain, what arrived was a certificate in the name of Elsie Garrard, daughter of Frank Garrard, Private in the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards. The informant was Emily Geater, present at the death at 2 St Mary Terrace, Bexhill Road St Leonard on Sea. The doctor certifying the death was G Garrard MRCS, now identified as George Garrard, surgeon of Seddlecombe Road, St Leonards.

The vital part, though, was in the margin. "Corrected on the 1st August 1900 ... on production of a Statuatory Declaration made by Philadelphia Gain and Mary Anne Biddle. Name to read Gain and Frank Garrard to read Philadelphia Gain a Domestic Servant".

The clue is Mary Ann Biddle, she was the younger sister of Philadelphia Gain and had married Maurice Percy Biddle, a sergeant in the 3rd Scots Guards. Maurice was a witness to the marriage of Kate Gerrard and Frederick Swales in 1905.

But Garrard not Gerrard? I think that that is an error made by the registrar because of the similarity of the dead girl's name and that of the doctor. I cannot find a Frank Garrard in the Grenadier Guards but I can find a Frank Gerrard in the 1st Battalion. In 1901 he was in Wellington Barracks, Bird Cage Walk, St James Park (RG13 piece 96 folio 91 page 8). I can trace his history from his birth in Frome in 1872 through to his rejoining the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards on the 8th Sep 1914 (claiming 12 years previous service in the Grenadiers) and through the First World War.

Not absolute proof but a very strong probability that Kate Philadelphia Gerrard was Philadelphia Gain, but where did the name Kate come from, and where was she in 1901?

Thanks to all those who helped and found Philadelphia Gain for me.

Robert

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 27 February 14 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update Robert. I'd say that was case proven - the Biddle link seems to be very strong circumstantial evidence.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 16:27 GMT (UK) »
To finally prove the link, my wife's recent DNA test with Ancestry has shown links to a number of people with Gain ancestors in Brede