Author Topic: 1901 Census  (Read 959 times)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1901 Census
« on: Saturday 19 March 05 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Could someone look up a James Francis Maynard? He is a possible father of my great grandfather James Francis Maynard.

He may have married a Nellie/Ellen/Helen/Eleanor and might have a son called Christopher.

He will probably be in the St Pancras area.
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 March 05 00:52 GMT (UK) »
XPhile
Idoubt that even Mulder and Scully could find James Maynard without a birth year there are soooooo many of them ;D :D.Do you know who his parents were or if he had brothers or sisters.

Joe ;)
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 March 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
well, my great grandfather was born about 1908, so i assume his father (who i dont actually know the name of, but my great-aunt thinks thats he has the same name as his son) could have been as young as 18 (so born in 1883) and probably not more than 30/35 years old.
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 March 05 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think the only safe thing for you to do here is to locate and purchase a copy of your great grandfather's marriage certificate which will confirm his father's name and occupation or a copy of his birth certificate to confirm his parent's names/father's occupation/address to start with.  You could so easily start following the wrong tree without some confirmed facts to start with.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 05 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I've already got the birth certificate, but it doesnt actually give the names of his parents, but he was born 1st August 1908 in Kentish Town. Is there a reason why his parents arent named on the certificate?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 05 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Does it look like this one?

http://users.rootsweb.com/~indwgw/harman/job_birth.jpg

If not, then you will have what is known as a short birth certificate - you will need a full one as in the pic.

Best wishes

Casalguidi

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 March 05 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Why is there two different kinds of birth certificate?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 05 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Basically, the short version (or a certificate of registration ie. proof) was given free at the time of registering the birth.  It's still the same today and you have to pay if you want a copy of the full version when you register your baby's birth.

Best wishes

Casalguidi