Author Topic: travel distances knockacollier - mountrath  (Read 3766 times)

Offline gerardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
travel distances knockacollier - mountrath
« on: Thursday 25 February 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Knockacollier to Castletown or Mountrath.  would these distances be walkable, or if possible to reach within an hour or two on a horse?.  I'm trying to establish the probability of relationships in Griffiths valuation. How far did people travel and move around?

My gtgtgrandparents Patrick Delany and Eliza (nee Brophy) lived at Castletown and temporarily at knockacollier in the 1840/50's and yet children attended convent school in Mountrath, would they more likely have been borders?   As a child I walked 3 miles to school each day as locally known shortcuts made it easier.

Also I am trying to understand why daughters attended 'finishing school' in Convent of Notre Dame Brugge, at a time of great poverty in Ireland when they were roman catholic.  Was this 'normal' for those with sufficient income?

I have not been able to establish fathers occupation as there are too many Patricks in Griffiths and I don't have enough knowledge of geography of area to make assumptions.  In 1850 the family appear to have lived at Knockacollier (possibly with Andrew and Ann Brophy) as the birth of their youngest child John Delany is recorded there.  I think the Brophy's were Eliza's parents.

Any info on any of the above would be very much appreciated.

Also thank you for your private post L... to my previous request, I am a newbie and can't work out how to reply privately to you.
delany/brophy/castletown laois/truman devon/scannell plymouth/mccormack cork, kerry/daly/mungret limerick/lewis/rae

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: travel distances knockacollier - mountrath
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 February 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Knockacollier to Castletown or Mountrath.  would these distances be walkable, or if possible to reach within an hour or two on a horse?.  I'm trying to establish the probability of relationships in Griffiths valuation. How far did people travel and move around?......

I dont see a townland named Knockacollier, but there is one named Knockacoller quite close. The the townland of Castletown is about 3km south west of Mountrath and Knockacoller another 2.5km further to the south west. See this google map with the route marked :
Mountrath to Castletown and Knockacoller

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gerardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: travel distances knockacollier - mountrath
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 February 10 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much that has helped greatly, obviously it is possible to walk easily.  I tried googling it but it never came up with a route,  I must have been doing it wrong. 
delany/brophy/castletown laois/truman devon/scannell plymouth/mccormack cork, kerry/daly/mungret limerick/lewis/rae