Author Topic: Henry Ross  (Read 10530 times)

Offline Geraldine M

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Ross
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 March 13 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Rev George Ross, Rector of Killinick, Co Wexford was the son of Henry Ross of Castle View. His sister was Frances who married Thomas Royse of Ballinvirick House near Adare. George was born around 1810 and Frances around 1808. I do not know if there were any others in the family and would welcome information. Frances was my gg grandmother and I have information on her descendants if anyone is interested.

Offline James o leary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 May 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Geraldine The Rev George ross was my gg grandfather. He died in 1884 in Killinick County Wexford. He was Rector there for 40 years but I cannot find his grave and I have searched for it for quite some time now. I can give you more information on the Ross family in wexford if you want it Cheers Jim

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 May 23 19:31 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Jim  :)

Geraldine M was last online here in February 2019, but if her email is still current, then she will receive a notification of your post. Since you now have two posts, you can use the personal message (PM) system to try to contact her and exchange information and your e-mail addresses.

...The Rev George ross was my gg grandfather. He died in 1884 in Killinick County Wexford.

Here's his death record. He died 26 December 1884 aged 76 yrs at Ballyrane on the outskirts of Killinick village.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1885/06295/4804388.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/forth/killinick/killinick/ballyrane/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Geraldine M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 05:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. I now have quite a lot of information about George Ross's brothers and sisters if you want to get in touch with me.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 08:15 BST (UK) »

...Castle View on the 1st edition OSI map (1820s-40s), it's in the townland of Beagh, in the Civil parish of Iveruss, and appears to be right on the coast of the Shannon estuary.

see :  Castle View, Beagh, Iverus (click on the historic or historic bw option)

The old OSi link no longer works.

Try the OSi National Townland and Historical Map Viewer.
Click 'Accept' and 'OK'. Click 'X' in the black band (if applicable). Then select MapGenie 6 Inch Last Edition Black [1829-1841] in Basemap Gallery.

https://arcg.is/0Du9C8

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline James o leary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiltaglassan. Thanks for your information on Castle View limerick. It would be the birthplace of my gg grandfather the Rev George ross of St Enochs Church killinick wexford. He died in 1884 at Ballyrane killinick wexford but I'm finding it very difficult to find his grave. He was Rector there at St Enochs for 40 years. Any thoughts on how I could find out about his grave would be great. Cheers Jim

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiltaglassan. Thanks for your information on Castle View limerick. It would be the birthplace of my gg grandfather the Rev George ross of St Enochs Church killinick wexford. He died in 1884 at Ballyrane killinick wexford but I'm finding it very difficult to find his grave. He was Rector there at St Enochs for 40 years. Any thoughts on how I could find out about his grave would be great. Cheers Jim

In case it helps, I found a transcript of a memorial/headstone in Cantwell's which mentions the wife of George, Elizabeth Marianne Ross nee Richards who died 1872, it's located in St. Munn's CofI Taghmon, it appears to be a plot for her family as most of the surnames are Richards. She is noted as wife of Revd. G. Ross and 3rd daughter of the Revd. Richard Richards.

Cantwell's usually cut-off his transcripts around 1880, it's possible he would not include a burial for 1884. Taghmon is about 19 km west of Killinick.

Offline James o leary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Athacliath62. Yes that lady isthe Rev George's first wife. I have a photo copy of the the tombstone a lot of Richards but he's not on the tombstone. I can't seem to find a record of his burial at all. Thank you so much for your reply it's much appreciated. Cheers Jim

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 May 23 18:46 BST (UK) »
Burial records for Killinick Church of Ireland are available at the RCB Library in Dublin, these cover back to the 1760s, there seems to be some records for the parish in the National Archives. Early records for Taghmon are listed as lost, but burials from 1877 onward survive, also held by the RCB Library.

I suspect that a burial in Killinick would be more likely.

Killinick graveyard is included in Cantwell's survey but no mention of any Ross, but bear in mind an 1884 headstone might not be included, and also there may not be a headstone..