Author Topic: Michael Finnigan  (Read 6784 times)

Offline hellywelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ernest, John and Ethel Sladen c1925
    • View Profile
Michael Finnigan
« on: Wednesday 03 March 10 19:08 GMT (UK) »
i'm new to family research but keen to locate a Michael Finnigan (approx, born 1945) who possibly went to New York approx. 1871 onwards he was born in County Monaghan Ireland and went to Glasgow approx. 1854 and now i cannot find him on census 1881 in Glasgow.  His father & mother was called Thomas & Catherine Finnigan (nee Casey) had a brother called Patrick (who i'm directly related to) and sister called Margaret (who i cannot find either using census records).  His occupation was recorded as Shoemaker according to 1861 & 1871 census in Glasgow but my understanding we did have relatives in New York as my great-grandfather went to New York in 1920 to work and stayed with cousins etc.   

Would appreciate any ideas to help locate this person
Finnigan, Casey, Quillan, Aitken, Sladen, Borg - Glasgow
Currie, Mckenzie, Low, Fraser, Ross, Louden - Aberdeen
Mckenzie, Campbell - Tain
Sladen - Kent, Wales & British India
Finnigan, Casey - County Monaghan

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Finnigan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
1880 us census is free-to-search at www.familysearch.org.

What was "great-grandfather's" name and birth year. Passenger records may show who he was visiting.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
www.pilot.familysearch.org could be another alternative for you. Just by putting Finnigan and New York in, it gives a choice of 102 entries - worth a play  ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hellywelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank-u  :D for your quick response.

my great-grandfather was called John Finnigan (born 1910) i have found passenger listing which i think is him dated 21st April 1923 occupation bricklayer which he was - i was always told he went to New York to work on Empire State Building don't know if this was a family myth but how would i get evidence for this?

appreciate everyones help cheers

went on family search and found michael listed as a shoemaker maybe this is him!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
If he traveled in 1923, then he had 7 years to wait before construction of the Empire State Building even began.  http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/tourism_history.cfm

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:45 GMT (UK) »
So this must be the one you think is your Michael. New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, New York. Born about 1841.
Michael Finnigan 39 Shoe-Maker
Annie Finnigan 36
Delia Finnigan 9
Annie Finnigan 2
Michael Finnigan 4 months.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline hellywelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I think it could be possibly be the one  :).  How could i confirm this? there must be records that could confirm he's the right michael i.e. death certificate would indicate where he's born and parents are? Is there a reputable website that i could use in America?

In answer to Empire State Building discussion i thought this opened early 1930's although not throughly researched this lead as my computor too slow at the mo but will look into the link you sent. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
As death records are held by the states or locally, you would need to narrow down when & where he died.  If he stayed in New York City, there is a death index at www.italiangen.org.

Offline roxyroo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 September 11 14:38 BST (UK) »
hi i was just looking through this website when i came across your email .my grandad john finnigan was born 1910 march 3rd  he also went to america  all the names you have quoted are all my ancestors  names .could you have the dates mixed up . ive got catherine cassey 1822-1886 thomas finnigan 1820.patrick finnigan 1846-1915 alice winters 1815. margaret finnigan 1872 thomas finnigan 1874-1875 catherine finnigan 1877 james finnigan 1878-1942 .my dad 1938 who is john m finnigan there was two brothers which is were a lot of the tree gets mixed up one of there children was called peter he married ethel slavin whos grandfather was lord slavin she lived in india when she was growing up dont know if this helps any
finnigan or finnigen