Author Topic: Swindell of Derbyshire  (Read 4545 times)

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Swindell of Derbyshire
« on: Wednesday 03 March 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
My gt  grandmother was Ellen Swindell born 1866 in Greenwich Kent.  For many generations back from her the Swindells were born in Erith, Orpington and Farnborough in Kent.
However it seems that my 6x gt grandfather Francis Swindell was born in Derbyshire about 1735.  He was buried in 1793 in either Orpington or Farnborough.  I do not know who his wife was, but he has at least two children Thomas, b c 1760 (not sure where ) and a daughter who could be Susannah.  Thomas married Sarah Whitehouse at St Mary’s Cray Kent in 1781 and he died in 1823 in Farnborough.

There was a Jasper Swindell born 1680-90 who could be Francis's father or uncle. I don't know where he was born. Jasper may have married a Mary between 1706-1720 and also a Catherine Hutchin(g)s between 1738 and 1750.  I do not know anything more about these marriages.  Jasper may have had a son called Samuel who was an Ag Lab on the Isle of Sheppy, Kent.

I want to try and locate Francis and Jasper and find out how they are related.
I know this is a longshot, but any help would be appreciated.

Sue   ???

I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swindell of Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 March 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found the burial of Jaspar and his wife Catherine in Beckenham.  Jasper died in 1774 and was 61, which would put his birth c1713.
His wife Catherine died in 1798 age 86, putting birth c1712.  At least I now know that they existed.

There is a birth of a Jasper Swindeals in 1713 in Garlickhithe London.  This is the city of London.  Ummm!  Not sure!

What do you think?

Sue

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
Can you explain how you know Francis was born in Derbyshire?
Can you maybe post the last bit that you are sure of?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 March 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
The only 'proof' that Francis Swindell c 1735 was born in Derbyshire is a letter written by his grandson - also a Francis Swindell to his son, another Francis Swindell.  It mentions a house in Derbyshire that belonged to the family.  The grandson had been trying to locate various people with regard to the property.  It mentioned a Jasper Swindell.

You see, I haven't much to go on.

Sue

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 March 10 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Francis Swindell born c1735 Derbyshire (where?) was left a property in Derbyshire (where?) shortly after he died in 1793/4.  It was not claimed.  Does anyone know how I might find out about this?
He was also a soldier in the 32nd foot??  He was sent to America with his regiment and was dischared c1790.  How can I confirm this?

Sue   ::)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The discharge papers, if they have survived, should be at Public Record Office, Kew.

Some have been listed on their site:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp

When page opens, enter:-

Word or phrase    -    Swindell
Year range            -    1750    (no end date)
Department          -     wo
Click search.
You get a number of results, most of which are from 1914, however in the early entries there
does not appear to be a Francis Swindell.  The dates given are only covering dates, so actual
documents would need to be examined.

Does the letter give no other clues?  was it addressed to a solicitor or just a family member?

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 10 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Does the letter give no other clues?  was it addressed to a solicitor or just a family member?

Spendlove

Might be this one:
http://www.fivenine.co.uk/family_history_notebook/source_extracts/correspondence/kentish_swindells.htm
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes!  That is the letter.  David Swindell is related to my gt grandmother's brother.

The letter was written by Francis Swindell's gt grandson to his son, both of whom were also Francis Swindell. 
The son had enquired to his father about land left to the family.

Just to clarify the line
6x gt grandfather -Francis Swindell b c1735 possibly Derbyshire d 1793/4 Orpington or Farnborough Kent  Left property in Derbyshire after his death
5x Thomas Swindell bc1760 Kent or Derbyshire d1823 Orpington or Farnborough
4x Francis Swindell b1783 Orpington d1863 Farnborough
3x Francis Swindell ch1804 Bromley Kent Writer of letter about property in Derbyshire, after trying to find the whereabouts of a Jasper Swindell, possibly brother or uncle of Francis Swindell (6x)
2x Francis Swindell b 1834 Erith Kent d1904 Brentford district  Receiver of the letter.
Gt grandmother - Ellen Swindell b1866 Greenwich d1940 deptford.

I want to find out who Jasper Swindell was and where the land was.

Sue  ???

Offline omskirk

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 March 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
My father in law was a Swindell and when we did some work on him the Swindells appear to originate in the north west corner of Derbyshire around Glossop area, might be a starting point for you
Any Bowler/Boaler/Boler
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk