Author Topic: A Suggestion - local Register Offices  (Read 30055 times)

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: A Suggestion - local Register Offices
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I've always found Middlesbrough, Stockton and Hartlepool Register Offices to be very helpful. Hartlepool scan the original marriage entry onto the long certs and Middlesbrough hand write them, although I did get a photocopy of the original with the handwritten copy last time as they were unsure of one surname.

I tend to use the local office when I'm not sure if it's the right cert as they are so much more helpful than the GRO and the certs usually arrive more quickly, I once had one hand delivered the same day  :o

*amended to say got two marriage certs from Hartlepool last week, one hand written the other a copy of the register.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Thinking about it, a copy of an original marriage certificate is the most important, because it will show your ancestors handwriting - always supposing they could write, whereas birth and death certs only give

Anyone know which registry office would cover Bethnal Green births of the 1850s/60s?  I did read a comment from a Rootschatter on another thread that the London ROs are not as helpful, so I may not get any joy from them anyway.

Lizzie

Bethnal Green was the reg district for that area in the 1850s. I think it now comes under Tower Hamlets.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thinking about it, a copy of an original marriage certificate is the most important, because it will show your ancestors handwriting - always supposing they could write, whereas birth and death certs only give

You will still have the signature of the informant (if they signed), and on birth certs it's usually one of the parents of course.

I think some local register offices dont offer a certificate service though.

This is true, but it will still be useful to add these to the list so that people will know.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I had a tricky question for Carlisle RO, and I think they thought I was a bit nuts, but they were extremely helpful and phoned me at home to say they had looked 5 years either side of the date I'd given.  They had been unsuccessful in finding the cert I wanted, so I can't say if it would have been a photocopy or not.

I also had a query about a certificate I'd ordered from GRO, so I emailed the local office which was Newcastle on Tyne.  They checked the original and emailed back straightaway with the answer
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 March 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Warwick tell me that they make no charge for checks and limited searches, and aim to process applications on the day of receipt when possible.

Unfortunately they are only able to supply typed copies.  Remember that this is still a transcription taken directly from the original, so it's the next best thing.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 March 10 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Coombs - Thanks for the info.  I may contact Tower Hamlets in the future, if I can't find anything else out myself.  Only been looking for about 5 years  ::)

You will still have the signature of the informant (if they signed), and on birth certs it's usually one of the parents of course.

Sloe Gin - What I meant was that if you are sent a photocopy you will be able to see the actual signature, if it is a handwritten or typed copy (by the registrars), you won't see your ancestors own handwriting.

Also, I didn't know parents signatures show on birth certificates.  My mother's signature is certainly not on mine, but that was a long time ago  ::) and I haven't got any of my childrens. certificates they all have their own now, so I can check ones up to 1974.

Lizzie

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 March 10 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Sloe Gin - What I meant was that if you are sent a photocopy you will be able to see the actual signature, if it is a handwritten or typed copy (by the registrars), you won't see your ancestors own handwriting.

Yes, exactly!  We may not be able to do anything about the cost, but at least we can try to get the best value for our money.  (You are never going to see your relative's handwriting on a GRO certificate anyway, as they are all transcripts.)  But speed of service and good cooperation count for a lot too.

Also, I didn't know parents signatures show on birth certificates. 

Oh yes - there is a column for the mother's name, and a further column for the signature or mark of the informant, together with their address.  (Everything is completed by the registrar, except for the signature.)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Quote from:   (You are never going to see your relative's handwriting on a GRO certificate anyway, as they are all transcripts.) [quote

I have definitely had photocopies from Stockport in the past. A small copy of the original register entry copied onto a modern certificate.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Quote from:   (You are never going to see your relative's handwriting on a GRO certificate anyway, as they are all transcripts.) [quote

I have definitely had photocopies from Stockport in the past. A small copy of the original register entry copied onto a modern certificate.

Do you mean Stockport Register Office, or did you mean to say Southport ie the GRO?  I ask because you quoted me.  Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Just to clarify, the GRO has no access to the original registers.  What they have are the transcripts which were/are sent as quarterly returns from the local registrars.  These were of course handwritten in the old days.