Author Topic: The mystery of Harry Rowland Berkeley b1826  (Read 4588 times)

Offline peterbaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The mystery of Harry Rowland Berkeley b1826
« on: Friday 05 March 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Harry Rowland BERKELEY was my 2G GF.  I am desperate to know more about his origins and his life. Apologies if I’m missing anything obvious here, but I’m a relative beginner at genealogy.  Main questions based on the records I have found  :

i. No birth or baptism record found and no father on marriage certificate means he may be adopted/illegitimate. If so, is there any way of tracing the parents?
ii. No marriage traced for Henry R BERKELEY and Clara, and possibly they weren’t married. Where can one check to establish whether Harry and Maria divorced?
iii. Are there any records, eg professional bodies, to verify Harry’s  claims to be a dentist, surgeon and professor of chemistry?

This is what I have unearthed. Names are transcribed as on records…………….

Harry Rowland BERKELEY was born sometime between 1825 – 1829, according to various census records and documents. Favourite 1826. I have not been able to trace any record of his birth or baptism, although the majority of records state St Pancras, London, whilst later ones state Islington.

Harry Rowland BERKELEY married Maria TASKER on 6.2.1849 at the Parish Church in Horncastle, Lincolnshire. There is no name for Harry’s father on the marriage cert,  just a dash. Witnesses were Mrs Barton and Mary Ann Wood. Harry’s age was 23,  bachelor, occupation surgeon, living in Horncastle

1841 census – [longshot] H BARCLAY, age 11, born Middlesex, scholar, at Christ’s Hospital School, London. [School no longer there today, but next door was St Bartholomew’s Hospital, including its medical and dental school.] Remote chance this could be him – ties in with stated profession, but age not quite right. No other H Berkeleys [incl spelling variants] found in 1841 census of approx age and place of birth

1850 – Son, Harry John BERKELEY, born at 59 Bayham Street South, St Pancras, home of Mary Sakker, where George/Elizabeth Barton [born Burgh, Lincs],  were visitors at 30.3.1851 census. Was this the Mrs Barton, witness at marriage? [Elizabeth Barton may be red herring, but provides some continuity]

1851 census – Hy BERKELEY, 22 Great College Street, St Pancras, dentist, age 23, born St Pancras. Maria and son Harry John also on record.

1852 - Son Harry John BERKELEY’s christening record : parents are Harry and Maria of 49 Great College Street, occupation surgeon.

1861 census – HR BERKELEY, 28 Church Terrace, Kentish Town, commission agent, age 32, born St Pancras, with Maria and Harry John.

1871 census – Harry R BERKELEY, 4 Bartholomew Villas, Kentish Town, art metal worker, age 42, born St Pancras, with Maria and Harry John.

He then he disappears

1881 census – Harry R not found

1881 census – Maria BERKELEY, age 52, b Horncastle, visiting Elizabeth Barton, [born Burgh, Lincs], 10 Chapel Lane, Spalding.

And Harry R possibly reappears with a new family. I have no proof that this is the same person, but there is no-one else I have found with a similar name

1891 census - Henry R BERKELEY, 212 Burlem Rd, Lambeth, 61, professor of chemistry, born London, wife Clara, 32, born Brixton, son Harry Percy,8, born Cheltenham. No record found of Clara’s birth or their marriage [maiden name unknown].

1891 census – Maria BERKELEY, age 60, b Horncastle, alone, 34 Albert Street, Spalding

1901 census  -  Rowland BERKELEY, 1 Colebrooke Row, Islington, boarder, age 73, born Islington, analytical chemist

1901 census – Clara BERKELEY, 39, born Brixton and Harry P, age 17, born Cheltenham, staying in holiday apartment in Margate

Harry Rowland BERKELEY dies 18.4.1901, age 74.
Death certificate : place of death 1 Colebrooke Row, Islington. Occupation, Analyst. Widow present at death is CN Berkeley.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Peter

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery of Harry Rowland Berkeley b1826
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for newpaper references.

There was a case in the equity courts reported in Daily News of 28 March 1849, brought by the Rev Wm Comyns Berkeley, Comyns Rowland Berkeley, and Augustus Berkeley against Richard Tomkyns and Henry Rowland Berkeley. . HRB was the administrator of the estate of Henry Comyns Berkely late of Dusseldorf.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hmm... Henry Rowland Berkeley died at Bruges on 18 Feb 1852 , aged 34, according to The Morning Chronicle of Feb 27

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter and a warm welcome :)

A couple of thoughts:

There's no sign of a divorce file for Harry and Maria in the National Archives' catalogue  - the relevant part being the J77 series; see

http://tinyurl.com/yhyrx2d

In the 19th century it was far more common for people to separate de facto than to get a divorce.  This may well be the reason you can't find a marriage to Clara.

If you wish to ascertain Clara's maiden name, it ought to appear on Harry Percy's birth cert (assuming HP was a product of the Harry/Clara relationship and not another relationship of Harry's).

Birth Jun qtr 1883

Harry Percy BERKELEY

Cheltenham 6a 439

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline peterbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for checking on this Shaun. I have seen a tree with the Comyns Berkeley line going back many centuries with numerous distinguished titled people. I would love my Harry to be somehow related!
Could I ask on which site one can check these newspaper references?
Ta  ..  Peter

Offline peterbaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anna
Very grateful for the info. I had no idea about the National Archive Catalogue. BC for Harry P already ordered!
If Henry and Clara were not married, would Clara take the Berkeley name so openly in census records and Harry's death cert? Was that the untruth for outward image of respectability?
Peter

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Peter - I was looking in the Gale/BL 19th century newspaper database which is accessible online to members of certain county libraries, and also available via subscription http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs/

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:40 GMT (UK) »

If Henry and Clara were not married, would Clara take the Berkeley name so openly in census records and Harry's death cert? Was that the untruth for outward image of respectability?

In a word - yes! People whose marriages had broken down often set up in a new partnership which they presented to all the world as though it was a marriage. One also sees bigamous marriage surprisingly often.

Re Harry and his occupation, you may get some assistance from this link about the registration of dental surgeons (scroll down).  It looks to me as though the professional regulation of dentists started rather late for Harry, so he may have been able to practise without going through an examination and licensing process (how alarming!):

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/helpadvice/knowledge-base/adoptions-directories/index.jsp

Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 March 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
1841 census – [longshot] H BARCLAY, age 11, born Middlesex, scholar, at Christ’s Hospital School, London. [School no longer there today, but next door was St Bartholomew’s Hospital, including its medical and dental school.] Remote chance this could be him – ties in with stated profession, but age not quite right. No other H Berkeleys [incl spelling variants] found in 1841 census of approx age and place of birth

The admissions registers of Christ's Hospital seem to be kept at the Guildhall Library:
http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/christ1.htm