Author Topic: ROHAN - Convicted and Transported in to Australia  (Read 839 times)

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROHAN - Convicted and Transported in to Australia
« on: Sunday 07 March 10 07:14 GMT (UK) »
A search of the National Archives of Ireland shows 5 "ROHAN"s convicted and transported to New South Wales in the 1840-50's. Four of these were from Cork, and two - Dominick and William ROHAN - seem to have been involved in the same act of "Larceny heifers and pig". They were tried at Cork on 20/09/1847. Both were sentenced to 10 years in NSW and were transported on the "Medway". The information provides a Document Reference - TR 7, p 31 - which I presume to be the Trial Transcript.

My interest in these two men is that I am trying to find some connection to my G-Grandfather, Philip ROHAN, who came to Melbourne (Australia) from Cork in about 1861.
I have failed so far in finding any link to his family in Cork. It occurred to me that if these two men were close relatives of his, it may have helped him to come to a decision to travel to Australia as a free settler. The two convict Rohans would have completed their sentences by 1857.

I wonder if the information from the National Archives is accessible. I haven't found any way to go to the records to find out any more about these two or the other Rohans listed. Can anyone help, please?

Gerry_R
Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROHAN - Convicted and Transported in to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry

You should also not forget the records in the UK National Archives - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=253

Ken

Offline Gerry_R

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ROHAN - Convicted and Transported in to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken for your response.

I wasn't aware of the UK Reference you suggest, and I will browse it well.

From my first quick scan, it doesn't seem to cover Irish (or Cork) pproceedings, so I am still keen for any more advice towards that angle.

Lacking any more than a name and county, I am clutching at straws, I know. But ... in the absence of anything more substantial it's worth a try.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Regards,

Gerry_R

Jennings/Jenness (Norwich); Jennings (Victoria, Australia); Farrow (Middlesex); Pye (Leicestershire); Service (N Ireland; New Zealand; Victoria); Hollinger (N Ireland); Rohan and Buckley (Co Cork, Ireland); Rohan (Victoria); Keating (Co Clare, Ireland); Lewis (Wales); Baldwin (Staffordshire); Lewis and Baldwin (West Aust); Baird and Davidson/Smith (East Lothian, Sco.); Jack and Watson (Banffshire, Sco.); Bostock (Middlesex);