Author Topic: Michael Loughlin (O'Loughlin) Margaret (nee Cahill) Lookup  (Read 7954 times)

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Loughlin (O'Loughlin) Margaret (nee Cahill) Lookup
« on: Sunday 07 March 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I would like help with the following please:  :)

• Identifying the dates of births for Michael Loughlin (O'Loughlin) Farmer from Kilkenny and Margaret Loughlin (O'Loughlin) (nee Cahill), probably from Kilkenny.
Please note I am not sure at this point when the family changed their name from Loughlin to O'Loughlin, Michael's parents were Loughlin, his children O'Loughlin.

• The last will for Michael Loughlin (O'Loughlin) and Margaret Loughlin (O'Loughlin), (nee Cahill) both of Sandfordscourt in Kilkenny Ireland.

• Information on where Michael and Margaret (nee Cahill) lived, and if they ever lived in Australia.[/b]

I believe they were both born is Kilkenny. Their children were Martin O'Loughlin (1863 - 1923) and Thomas James O'Loughlin (1866 - 1929) who both went to live in Australia. Martin and Thomas both died and were buried in Australia.

If it helps their Children were:

Martin O'Loughlin (1863 -1923) was born in Kilkenny and went to live in Australia c1899. He never married

Thomas James O'Loughlin (1866 - 1929) was born in Kilkenny and also went to live in Australia, believed to be c1899. He married Kathleen Murphy, daughter of James Murphy of Ballybur Castle, County Kilkenny, in St John's (The O'Loughlin) Church September 27 1911. They had seven children, sadly two died within hours, only one daughter is known to have married, Mary Agatha, to John Berchman-Devine, they had three children. 
In recognition of his generous benefactions to the Roman Catholic Church, said to have exceeded £100,000 he was created a domestic Privy Chamberlain to Pope Pius XI and on his wedding day in 1911 in Kilkenny, Ireland, he was created a Count of Rome by Pope Pius X. Thomas was the main benefactor for the St John's (O'Loughlin) Church in Kilkenny along with his brother Michael and parents Michael and Margaret in part in the memory of his Uncle Martin Loughlin.,

Links to associated topics:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442408.msg3055060

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=440695.msg3039135

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,441687.0.html

Please see the people I am referring to in the yellow box, from my family tree.

Many Thanks

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Loughlin (O'Loughlin) Margaret (nee Cahill) Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 March 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »
All I know at the moment is Michael was still alive in 1897.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you done any research on the family in Irish records yet?
IGI (www.familysearch.org) lists 2 sons of Michael Loughlin and Margaret/Peggy Cahill -
1. Martin LOUGHLIN born 29 Jan.1864 Toscoffin, Co. Kilkenny (page 523 in civil register)- not 1863 as in your 1st post on this thread.
2. Thomas LOUGHLIN born 21 Oct.1865 Tiscoffin, Co. Kilkenny (page 540 in civil register).

See this topic for basic details of Irish records, including how to order birth certificates, etc.-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey,

The dates were calculated from their death certificates in Australia as were their parents names.

They are a match  ;D

I'll go check the IGI now to see if there are any PRF or Batch Files listed to search out any other family information.

~MERLIN~

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Have you done any research on the family in Irish records yet?
IGI (www.familysearch.org) lists 2 sons of Michael Loughlin and Margaret/Peggy Cahill -
1. Martin LOUGHLIN born 29 Jan.1864 Toscoffin, Co. Kilkenny (page 523 in civil register)- not 1863 as in your 1st post on this thread.
2. Thomas LOUGHLIN born 21 Oct.1865 Tiscoffin, Co. Kilkenny (page 540 in civil register).

See this topic for basic details of Irish records, including how to order birth certificates, etc.-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html

Thanks for the information, I didn't know where is Co. Kilkenny the son's were born or where to get their birth certs. Although I have their death certs, the information didn't include their date of birth, so e.g. Thomas was 63 when he died in June and all I could do was take his age away from the year, which gave me 1866, but now I know the dates I can see that he died before his birthday that year. It was the same with Michael. Result! Thanks  ;D

I checked too on the parish names and can only find Tiscoffin in Kilkenny, so I assume the Toscoffin was either a typo or it is wrong on the cert. :D Very interesting. Thanks again.

Offline Shamrockgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey,

The dates were calculated from their death certificates in Australia as were their parents names.

They are a match  ;D

I'll go check the IGI now to see if there are any PRF or Batch Files listed to search out any other family information.

~MERLIN~

Thanks Merlin, I can see how the dates were slightly off for Thomas because he died before his birthday that year.  ;)

I can't wait to see if you find anything else.  ;D