Author Topic: Look up please: Medal rolls  (Read 1433 times)

Offline sap81uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look up please: Medal rolls
« on: Monday 08 March 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for George Ernest Anstis, missing from the 1901 census, he was in India and possibly South Africa 1899-1902. He was born 1866 in Devonport, Plymouth, England.

Thanks if you can help, I have no other details

Steve

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please: Medal rolls
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
That's not a whole lot to go on Steve!  :-\
What about the 1881, 1891 censuses? What about a marriage, children's births etc?
Do you have a photos of him in uniform or other momentoes?
A unit would help us hugely.

Do you even know he was in the army or is this an assumption?
Given the Devonport connection have you considered the Royal Navy?
I'm not sure Boer War medal rolls are the way forward right now.
- we don't know for sure he was there at all
- only some of the unit medal rolls have been published in any form
- Even if we were to find a G.Anstis, there's no way to confirm it's the right chap.

Try to fill in the picture a bit.

Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline sap81uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Ok fair one.

The details I do have is it is not indicated he was in the Royal Navy. He served in the Indian/Burmese war and the war in South Africa and was invalided with no pension, and somehow mentions France. I understand the Devonport connection to the Navy, but also possibly the Royal Marines. He was married in 1895, there was no mention then of his army enlistment and rank, it must be after 1895. I was wrong about his birth, he resided in East Stonehouse/Plymouth/Devonport area but was born in the Coastguard Station Cork, Ireland.

His possible enlistment date is between 1897-1901, is there any way to find him? His childrens births were in Croydon, Surrey and Plymouth, Devon (Croydon being his marriage place). As he was in India for longer than South Africa (letter indicates many years in India and under a year in South Africa) where would I look to flesh out his India service instead of South African (Might make further research easier)?

I have photos of him but not in uniform, his two sons emigrated to Australia, joined up in the AIF and were both killed in WWI. Thanks for Help :)

Offline spof

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Steve

One step at a time

The details I do have is it is not indicated he was in the Royal Navy. He served in the Indian/Burmese war and the war in South Africa and was invalided with no pension, and somehow mentions France. I understand the Devonport connection to the Navy, but also possibly the Royal Marines. He was married in 1895, there was no mention then of his army enlistment and rank, it must be after 1895. I was wrong about his birth, he resided in East Stonehouse/Plymouth/Devonport area but was born in the Coastguard Station Cork, Ireland.

Where did you find out about him being in these wars? What is the reference to Drance? What is on his marriage cert? Where did he marry?As Neil says, can you find him on any census? Was he still alive for the 1911 census?

His possible enlistment date is between 1897-1901, is there any way to find him? His childrens births were in Croydon, Surrey and Plymouth, Devon (Croydon being his marriage place). As he was in India for longer than South Africa (letter indicates many years in India and under a year in South Africa) where would I look to flesh out his India service instead of South African (Might make further research easier)?

I have photos of him but not in uniform, his two sons emigrated to Australia, joined up in the AIF and were both killed in WWI. Thanks for Help :)

Why do you think he enlisted between 1897 and 1901?

You can find his sons AIF service records here http://naa12.naa.gov.au/NameSearch/Interface/NameSearchForm.aspx and they give the parents as next of kin.

You need to build up a family history as a reference point before anyone can be of much help here.

Glen
Bezant (London/Suffolk), West (London/Essex), Walker (Yorkshire), Phillips (West Country - believed Bristol area), Tibbetts (Warwickshire), Armstrong (Co Fermanagh), Harvison (Co Wexford), Neeb (Germany), Becker (Germany), Jakobsson (Finland). Kanneworff (Germany and Denmark)

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
He served in the Indian/Burmese war
If you mean Burmese wars specifically, then the last was c.1892 and this is a long time before your possible enlistment date for him.

where would I look to flesh out his India service instead of South African (Might make further research easier)?
Same basic problem exists either way. Medal rolls are not a feasible idea and without his unit we can't do much more than speculate.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline sap81uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. His marriage certificate in Croydon, Surrey doesn't indicate he was in the miltary at all. A rough estimate by me was 1897 onwards as a first guess, perhaps after 1895. I cannot find him on the 1891 census or the 1901 census, but I can find his family without him in 1901. I have found him on the 1911 census and he is with his family but not in the military. Thanks for the link, I have already found both his sons records and saved the images, the only reference to his military service is in a letter from his wife's friend to the Australian AIF on her behalf asking about her sons and about pensions.

There was a reference to France but I am not sure they meant the sons or the father. I just might have to apply for his army records if any for him exist, is probably going to be a difficult task

Thanks for the info

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

Although possible it is unlikely he enlisted at the age of 31. If he did serve it is more likely that he enlisted c1890; served seven/six years in uniform and was in the Army Reserve when he married. As he would only serve two weeks a year in the AR he would not mention the fact on certificates etc. If he was in the reserve in 1899 he would have been recalled for the Boer War, or if discharged he may have re-enlisted, either as a Regular or in one of the many irregular mounted infantry units created just for the Boer War.

Surviving records for Regulars this period are in alphabetical order so you do not need to know his regiment. However until Findmypast have put them online you need to visit Kew or employ a researcher.

Ken

Offline sap81uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Great response Ken, that may explain a few things. I have very little evidence to support him enlisting at all and the only evidence I have is a letter. I have him on the 1881 census but not after until the 1911 census, so he may have enlisted from legal age in the 1880s. I believe his occupation in 1895 (his marriage) was joiner, I cannot find him in 1891/1901 censuses, unless he is mis-transcribed he is missing. I've found it a bit odd why he was in Croydon instead of his native Devon/Devonport area, in 1881 he is with his mother in Tavistock and in Alverstoke in 1871 also with his mother.

It is said he served 7 years in India and about 2 or 3 months in South Africa (discharged injured), so seems a likely senerio of what you said, perhaps he could have been called up in 1901 or thereabouts and been away from the census at the time (or perhaps travelling home).

This just leaves me to search Kew or if possible get someone to help a small bit, but once I visit Kew, what is there after that I could add if he was indeed in the army?