Author Topic: Maria Allen  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Bullamore

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Allen
« on: Monday 08 March 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for info on Maria Allen bn abt 1805 Scarborough, N. Yks.Her husband was Thornton Melton. Marriage 1831 in Scarborough. Maria died in 1880, Scarborough. Also, her parents names. I have looked on FS and IGI, but found nothing. Kind Regards Bullamore

Offline Rah1980

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Allen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 10 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Are you just looking for birth baptism or census info 2?
Flintshire Parry, Price, Lloyd, Jones, Williams, Roberts, Ellis, Holland and Davies. Mostly from Brynford area.
Denbighshire Hannam, Evans
Scotland Clark, Duff, Ferrier, Cruikshanks, Robertson, Anderson, Mciver, Finlayson, Hodge, Galloway and Barrie
Midlands Shaw, Davenport, Skidmore, Ball
Ireland Mccaffery

Offline Doc M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Allen & Thornton Melton
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Thornton Melton married Maria Allen in Scarborough in 1837. Their eldest son, Thomas, was bap. in Scarborough on 02/02/1838, and married Elizabeth Milson on 7/10/1856. In 1871, Thomas and Eliza lived in North Street, Scarborough, with the following children:
Mary Jane
Thornton
Thomas
William
Maria
Eliza
Robert
I am interested because the younger Thornton (Thomas's son, born c. 1860) was my great-grandmother's legal husband (he m. Sarah Jane Nichols in 1881, but she contracted a bigamous marriage with my great-grandfather John Thomas Todd in 1905, claiming to be a widow!). However, he had a relative of the same name, the son of David Melton (b. 1825 – was he a brother or nephew of Thornton snr?) and similar age.
One of the Thornton Meltons died in 1906 in Scarborough, aged 45, the other in 1930 in Sheffield, aged 70-71, and I'm trying to sort out which was my great-grandmother's husband!

Offline Ibbo2000

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 September 11 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Over on Familysearch there's an intriguing record for a baptism for Maria Allan on 22/2/1807 in Scarborough - parents Richard & Maria.
Could they be yours?

I have seen Maria Melton on the Scarborough 1841 census (transcribed Milton) age 30 with Thornton Milton age 30 ropemaker & Thomas age 3.

1851 has only Maria age 44 & Thomas age 13 in Scarborough & in 1861 she's by herself age 54 in Scarborough- the census age could suggest she was born 1807.

There's a record of burial on familysearch for Thornton Melton first quarter 1851.

Also there's a marriage for a Richard Allen to Maria Arnet on 27/1/1805 in Scarborough.

hope this helps
Kev.
Ibbertson
Knight
Burton Turner
Greensides
Ketley

Offline Doc M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
That looks like them!
The bad transcriptions of Melton are a pain re: census searches online: Milton, Mellon, even Matson. I found Thomas's wife Eliza with Thornton jnr in 1861 under 'Matson'!