Author Topic: William Rush BRUCE Birth Look up Hintlesham  (Read 2635 times)

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Rush BRUCE Birth Look up Hintlesham
« on: Monday 08 March 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello, William Rush Bruce, I cannot find his birth details, he was living in Hintlesham around 1810 but I cannot trace any details for him.  I know his daughter is called Harriett Selina Bruce born 1810 Hintlesham.  Can anyone have a look for me? around Hintlesham? Any help would be appreciated Thanks Jenny

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Rush BRUCE Birth Look up Hintlesham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 08:00 GMT (UK) »
In my file I have a Robert BRUCE buried in the neighbouring parish of Aldham on 3 March 1812, aged 26 years. He married Lydia FROST in Elmsett on 11 Oct 1808.

If you have not already done so, it might be worthwhile checking these parishes.

Regards,
Kevin Scott
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 10 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kevin, Thanks for looking, I will have a look at the surrounding parishes for any connections but as the dates are before the Census starts, it will prove quite difficult unless anyone is able to look at certain parishes for me. I only have really basic info on him but wondered with a middle name of RUSH that it may help.  Thanks again for all your help  Regards Jenny

Offline ernchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi hotrodpansy, I have seen your posts regarding William Rush Bruce. My grandmother was the grandchild of William Rush Bruce who emigrated to South Africa and got married at Post Retief in the Cape Colony. I am trying to find out which year he came to the Cape Colony and on which vessel he arrived. I know there was a Captain Bruce of the British Forces at Post Retief (Gordon Highlanders 74th Regiment) and I want to establish if there was a connection between the two. Our William Rush Bruce was part of the Frontier Wars and belonged to the 91st. Argyllshire Regiment.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
ernchat, the William Rush Bruce of this thread is not, unfortunately, the same man of this name who went to South Africa.

The William Rush Bruce of Hintlesham was born 5/8/1787, bp.25/5/1788 Hintlesham, son of John and Hannah (nee Rush).   He didn't leave these shores and died in Ipswich, Suffolk in 1870.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 April 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ernchat

I am unable to access my tree at the moment, but YES there is a link.  William Rush Bruce senior did have a son or grandson named after him called William Rush Bruce who went to South Africa and from memory Cape Colony.  As I did not renew my subscription to Ancestry, I now have restricted access.  I found lots of information on there about the family and I am very interested to hear that your grandmother was a grandchild of William Rush Bruce senior.  Do you have much info or photos on the earlier family? Would love to hear from you? 

Offline ernchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 21 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hotrodpansy, this is fantastic news as we could not find any information of his birth in South Africa which pointed to his birth in Hintlesham. We also could not find out when he travelled to the Cape Colony and whether there was a link between William Rush Bruce and a certain Capt. Bruce at the Post Retief Barracks where he lived for a number of years. I am going to attempt to attach a photo of my Great Grandfather George Henry Bruce and family, the son of William Rush Bruce who was born at Post Retief Barracks in 1859. I have attempted to get a copy of William Rush Bruce's will from the Ipswich Legal Office. Could you possibly point me in the right direction to obtain this. Many thanks. Ernchat.

Offline hotrodpansy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 April 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's really nice to meet you.

I have a hectic few days, but I will try to access my info soon and let you know.  Could I ask the name of your grandmother who was the child of William Rush Bruce?  Any info and dates will help me narrow it down as I believe from memory, there were quite a few children born in Africa but the line originates from Suffolk.  I am in the line of William Rush Bruce senior daughters name Hannah...a direct line down through to me.  Thanks

Offline ernchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 April 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was George Henry Bruce, son of William Rush Bruce and my Grandmother was Lilian Bruce, his daughter. I tried to attach the photo but somehow the prompts to do this do not work. I will try to find out how to do this.