Author Topic: Harriet & Isabella (Bella) McDonald in Toronto, Canada  (Read 18362 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonald - William and sister Isabella, Toronto, Canada
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 March 10 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Husband has ancestors WILLIAM MacDONALD (SURNAME changed from Mc to Mac on arrival in Canada) - he emigrated to Canada 1910, was working as Hotel Teamster, 125 Wellington Street, Toronto, and living with brother Thomas Calder MacDonald, and future brother-in-law Joseph McDonald (apparently no relative).
 Two of his sisters Harriet Jane and Isabella (Bella) emigrated in 1912 on ship "Letitia" and joined brothers at 125 Wellington St.
I have had a lot of kind help in the past with Harriet Jane.

WILLIAM was b. 21 June, 1887, Resolis, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland,  m. in Canada on 7 Jan. 1914 to MARY CALLAGHAN (b. 1889, Greenock, Scotland) (Parents: John Callaghan 1868-, and Sophia Canavan).
I know he was a Driver, joined up 8 Dec. 1918 123 Btn.  Royal Grenadiers, Canada Expeditionary Forces, living 26 Bulwer St., Toronto, when enlisting.  1919: Living 484 Delaware Ave. ("on active service" - driver).
Lived 327 Euclid Ave., Toronto with sister Harriet Jane M(a)cDonald.
Can anyone help with further info. on William and his wife Callaghan - any kids, etc. 
Also on sister "BELLA".  No further info. - altho. I have been sent an entry in the  Californian Death Index 1940-97 for a:  Isabella Wiles (Isabella McDonald), Soc. Sec. No. 5656425375 - died 31 Oct., 1986 in Los Angeles (Mother's maiden name CALDER).    Anyone help with her husband, date, any kids.   Thanks again in anticipation. 

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald - William and sister Isabella, Toronto, Canada
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 March 10 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Go to

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/

and click 'Ask A Librarian'. Explain your request & they can do a look-up in the city directories. I suggest you give them a specific year or two as they won't want to search 80 years of directories. If you know the year they lived at Euclid Ave. start there & ask for a 5-10 year span after that to narrow it down.

Good hunting.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet & Isabella (Bella) McDonald in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 March 10 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this was found on any of your other posts, but I didn't find it. There are several others listed with the
same parent's names, so might be from that family....but thought I'd post just in case she turns out to be yours.
Isabella Margaret Darragh died July 8 1925, Fort Frances East, Rainy River, Ontario
age 47 / born c  1878 to parents Wm. & Margaret Calder, husband's name....Chas Darragh
http://search.labs.familysearch.org
There is a marriage on ancestry of a Bella Locke to a Charles Darrah which has same parents listed...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 March 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the lead. But not our Isabella (Bella). Ours b.1894 in Scotland.
This Isabella b.1877 in Winnipeg. May be another branch.
Really strange coincidence with the parents names though.
Stephen

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 March 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, yes, there were a few Calder mcDonalds in Red River Settlement...
Judging by your addresses/dates shown I imagine you've gone through the Toronto directories available online...
Just a quick look at 1912 doesn't have surnames that correspond with your 1912 address given..although there is a
 Thomas  / driver /  at 1 - 54 Hayden in 1912...
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Might%20Directories%20Ltd.%22
You can search in 1920 & 1922 as well...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 08 March 10 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Yup. In fact I spent quite a bit of time at the reference library downloading the images of the pages I wanted. I did this for my two family lines Troke and Mc(Mac)Donald from the time the names firsat appeared in Toronto, about 1890 I think. I went right through to 1950. Also did this for the street names I knew my ancestors lived on.
Have laid them out year by year on my desk (1913 to 1921 so far) and tried to follow where each one lived and moved to each year. Easy for some. Not so for others.
Joseph McDonald (no relation, until he married my Great Aunt Harriet McDonald) fortunately had his occupation (Teamster/Foreman) and company he worked for (Hendrie & Co) shown year after year (thank you!)
William (occ: Driver in 1913) on the other hand, in 1913 lived at 125 Wellington St W with his Brother, Thomas Calder McDonald and the above Joseph (guess that's how Joseph met Harriet) until 1914. William married Mary Callaghan in Apr 1914 and moved out. In 1914 there is not a William shown as a Driver. Checked to see if there was a Mary McDonald also listed hoping to find a common address - nope. There are 26 Williams in 1914 and a comparable number right thru to 1921. No Drivers! Which one is he?
Did this same exercise for Harriet and Isabella (Bella) but really haven't pinpointed which is which.
I do know Harriet had a second marriage to Charles Colburn Fadden in 1920 and were living on Ethelwin Ave in1927. After that - haven't got there yet. I know she died in 1982 in Toronto. Her record at the funeral parlour shows next of kin as Grace Gagnon, Daughter. Have no idea who she is. What happened to Charles - don't know either.
This past weekend I found Bella's death (I think) in LA, California. Birthdate is a match 28 May 1893. Mother: Calder. Shows death 31 Oct 1986. Married name Wiles. Haven't found husband yet - or where she's been from 1920 in Toronto to 1986 in LA!
Gotten way off track here but at least everyone's up to date now. If anyone can shed any light on missing info - thank you in advance!
Stephen

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald - William and sister Isabella, Toronto, Canada
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I had thought to start a "new topic" with these two, siblings of Harriet McDonald who has extensive coverage in another post site.  However, there are considerable mentions of these two under Harriet's topic - so perhaps my post should have been included on bottom of Harriet.
MODERATOR - can you help?

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I did commence a new topic under William & Isabella McDonald, to try and obtain more info. on these two siblings.  However, I have asked the Moderator to perhaps combine the two topics, as I realise a number of posters have added info. about William and Isabella on above topic.  Thanks

Moderator Comment: Topics merged

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Moderator. 
Now a new 'sub-query' - have found entry for Isabella McDonald - she now has been married (shown as MacDonald) to George Frederick Murrell 1915, but he died in 1918.
 Also found entry on shipp. register for Isabella Murrell, on "Pretorian" leaving 5 Oct. 1920 from Glasgow arriving Quebec on 14th Oct., 1920.  On Register, she also has two children -  Isabella J. Murrell 4 yrs. born Canada, and George F. born Canada (but can't make out note in age column).  Have blown it up but still can't work it out.  Anyone help??
Isabella must have remarried as on her Death Certificate at 91 years, she is now Isabella WILES??