Author Topic: Harriet & Isabella (Bella) McDonald in Toronto, Canada  (Read 18347 times)

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriet & Isabella (Bella) McDonald in Toronto, Canada
« on: Sunday 30 August 09 06:06 BST (UK) »
I have started a new topic heading (same McDonald family - see McDonalds in Canada stream).
I am looking for further info. on HARRIET JANE McDONALD, b. 30 July, 1891 in Cullicudden, Resolis, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland.  Together with her sister Bella (Isabella) (b.28 May, 1893, Cullicudden) she travelled from Glasgow to Quebec, Canada on ship "Letitia,  arriv. 9 June, 1912.   
I believe they both stayed with their brothers Thomas Calder McDonald and William McDonald, at 125 Wellington St. W., Toronto.  A Joseph McDonald was also staying at the same lodgings and working with bros. at same Hotel, as 'teamster'. I have failed to connect him directly to McDonald family at Cullicudden, R. & C., Scotland,  although I have traced him back to his grandparents in Coldstream, Berwickshire, Scotland - however, this is a long way south of Ross & Cromarty - down near border of England.
 However, in 1914, Joseph married Harriet Jane McDonald, and they were rooming at 47 Beverley St.; they later lived 5 Peter St.  I have J.'s death on 31 Oct., 1919 (51) but I would like to find out more of following:
1. HARRIET JANE McDONALD (nee McDonald) -  who continued living at 5 Peter St. as widow (1919). Any children, death of Harriet?
2. ISABELLA (BELLA) McDONALD - did she marry, who? any kids? death?   
Thanks. Ruth

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet & Isabella (Bella) McDonald in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
Have also lost track of William McDonald b.21 Jun 1887 in Cullicudden. Emigrated to Toronto, Canada 1910. Lived at 125 Wellington St West with Brother Thomas C and another McDonald - Joseph (not sure if Joseph is a relative yet).
William married Mary Callaghan 1914. Can't confirm address and how long they stayed in Toronto or had any kids.
Anyone know of this William and Mary McDonald?
Thanks,
Stephen MacDonald
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
Harriet remarried after the death of Joseph in 1919.  Married under
Jarriette Jean MacDonald b. 1889 d/o Wm Macdonald and Margaret Calder on 31 May 1920 at Toronto to Charles Colburn Fadden, blacksmith of Toronto.
Image sent to both interested parties.

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/
The Toronto public library - Ask a Librarian feature take email enquiries and do lookups in City directories by name or address.  They are specific in that they only do two requests per email but I was able to track certain individuals by using this resource.

There is also http://www.ontarioobits.com/ where you might find an obituary.

http://pagesofthepast.ca/  This is a pay site for the Toronto Star - again a very good resource.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:25 BST (UK) »
Charles was born Clarencville, Quebec and I cannot find his birth in the Drouin records.  His mother died 1911 and his father (Peter) died 1917.  Both of their surnames were recorded as Fadden.  I thought perhaps they forgot the Mc in front of it on the marriage record.

Debbie

Offline RSMACL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debbie.  Never have found them under that name!  Now, I wonder if there were any kids?  Ruth

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 August 09 00:57 BST (UK) »
Harriet and Charles had at least 1 child.  Born Oct 23, 1924 and died March 3, 1927  Toronto.  Their address at his death was 10 Ethelwin Ave. Toronto.  This birth can only be tracked because it resulted in a death. 

Debbie

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 January 10 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Harriet died in 1982 in Toronto (was living at 175 Cummer Ave, #338) and is buried with her husband Joseph, his Parents and Harriet's one child from the marriage with Fadden. No obit in the Toronto Star for Joseph (which would have hopefully listed who he was survived by).
Haven't found Fadden's date of death or where he is buried yet. If I knew the date I could do the same obit search hoping to find out who he was survived by.
On the record at the funeral parlour in Toronto, it shows next of kin to Harriet as Grace Gagnon - Daughter! I have tried under Mcdonald, MacDonald and Fadden and cannot find a birth for this Grace.
I figure she would have had to be roughly 60ish in 1982 which means she has probably passed by now. Grace's address in 1982 was listed as 13 Albert St East in Tottenham, Ontario. No telephone listing for her now in Tottenham. There are 2 Gagnon's in Tottenham. I have written to both a few months ago and niether responded (and the envelopes didn't come back either). There is only 1 funeral parlour in Tottenham and they did not do a service for Grace anytime after 1982.
Any suggestions on finding Charles Colburn Fadden's date of death, Grace's birth and death?

Offline bigmac1x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 January 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I just had another thought. The funeral arrangements for Harriet were made under the name Harriet McDonald not Harriet Fadden. I wonder if Grace did this because Harriet's maiden name was Mcdonald  or because her first married name was Mcdonald (the same as Charles, her first husband).
If the latter, that would mean Grace was born a McDonald?

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 January 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
It's also possible that Harriet and Charles divorced and she went back to using McDonald.

As for Grace, if she was born before 1920 then it would seem likely that she was born McDonald, after 1920 then a Fadden. With Grace handling the arrangements under the name McDonald and burying her mother with Joseph McDonald that may be an indication that she was Joseph's daughter and not Charles.

By the way, I saw the death registration for Joseph McDonald and it has his year of death as 1918, not 1919.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz