Author Topic: Ashby-de-la-Zouch: burial lookup please (Completed-Thanks)  (Read 3922 times)

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah McCarthy 1885-1920
    • View Profile
Ashby-de-la-Zouch: burial lookup please (Completed-Thanks)
« on: Tuesday 09 March 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a burial record for John GRIMES (b.15-Mar-1740) and his wife whose name is a mystery. My ancestor Thomas GRIMES, son of John, was baptised in Ashby where the registers contain only the forename of the father.

Although John was also baptised in Ashby it seems he did not marry there as I could not locate any record. I am hoping a lookup will find a burial of a female Grimes born around 1740 so I would at least have a forename to aid my search for their marriage.

Any comments welcome, thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ashby-de-la-Zouch: burial lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeannie

I have found a burial of John Grimes in 1820 at St Helens Ashby aged 79 which seems to fit,  but the only possibles for his wife is a Mary Grimes buried 1811 and Ann Grimes buried 1812 no age given on either     :-\

However - you may have this there is a burial for Thomas Grimes in 1857 aged 84 which is probably 'your' Thomas -  no record of any burial stones for any of the above.

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 March 10 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the information. The 1820 burial seems to fit perfectly.

May I ask you - did you find this in the registers or BT's for St. Helen's? The only one of these four burials I saw in the NBI was Thomas 1857. Not sure what the reason for that might be.

Thanks again and sorry for the delayed reply, I've been down with a cold & fever for the past few days.

Jeannie

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 10 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeannie

They are entries from the registers - as far as I know (in the verison I have anyway) Ashby St Helens burials are only in the NBI 1821-1866  so you wouldn't find the other entries there.

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Ohh I should have checked for the dates covered  :-[ can I blame it on the fever?  :D

Thanks for clearing that up - now I'll go look for a chart of some sort.

Jeannie

Offline John C Grimes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashby-de-la-Zouch: burial lookup please (Completed-Thanks)
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 July 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
My name is John C Grimes and my great (by 4) grandfather was a John Grimes (wife Sarah). His son Samuel was born in Dadlington, Leichester, christened 15 Jan, 1764. My great, great grandfather was William Grimes, born 1810 , went to Asby-de-la-Zouch, married Mary Douglas of Burton-on-Trent and immigrated to Australia - leaving from Gravesend, 22 Dec, 1848, arriving Brisbane on the "Chaesley", 1 May, 1849.

I live in Brisbane, Australia.