Author Topic: McKenzie families *COMPLETED*  (Read 1598 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzie families *COMPLETED*
« on: Friday 12 March 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »
My gr gr grandfather Kenneth McKenzie had 5 brothers, Hugh,John,William,Cuthbert and Edward. They were all born in the Kirkcudbright and Balmaghie shires of Scotland between 1803 and 1813. Their father was Hugh McKenzie b. about 1767 in Ross shire. He was a member of the "Caithness Legion" and spent 7 years in Ireland at the time of the Irish Rebellion.
He married a Bridget Erskine, possibly in Ireland. They must have become involved in shipping, and went to St John, New Brunswick, where they applied for a Grant of land in 1826. I have copies of these petitions for land, kindly provided by Greg Haley from Fredericton, NB.
Anyway, the McKenzies continued their interests in shipping and built their own vessel, the "Brothers" a brig of 120 tons and sailed to Australia in 1840. Hugh senior died in Albany WA in Jan 1841 and the rest of the family continued on to Sydney and some may have gone on to New Zealand. My gr gr grandfather was definitely in Sydney in 1842, but I don't know what became of him. There was a family story that he was lost at sea, but I haven't yet been able to track down where or when this occurred. Given the family's propensity for travel, I could be looking for a while yet.
Anyone out there with any connections? Or information about shipping and arrivals in NZ ports, Newspaper articles on same in the 1840's?
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
RD,  Balmaghie's a parish in Kirkcudbrightshire, I suspect your Mackenzie's hail from Easter Ross as Hugh (Uisdean) is fairly common there, if this site doesn't get very far, I would try the Highland Family History Society.....Skoosh.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 March 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger

For shipping / arrivals in New Zealand ports, perhaps the first place to explore, would be our wonderful PapersPast website (though newspaper dates are from about 1840).

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

Also see the Resources section of this board - which has links to shipping ... BDM indexes, etc. etc.

Good luck  ... hope you find something of interest.

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 March 10 13:02 GMT (UK) »

See also - RootsChat Australia board (resources) for link to their online newspapers site.

:)

Offline Kelsiekate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie families *COMPLETED*
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am a descendant of Hugh - three of the brothers settled in Albany Western Australia

There is a house named after them today

McKenzie house

If you search for it in twitter it is being restored by new owners

I am new to this site I’m not sure how it works

But I am also looking for information on how they got there and where they came from

Offline Kelsiekate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 12:21 BST (UK) »
Also I found this but not sure if it’s the same Hugh

Daily Southern Cross, 26 June 1857, Page 2
Shipping Intelligence. PORT OF AUCKLAND. 
ENTERED INWARDS. June 25 Spray, brigantine, 107 tons, A. Duncan, from Cape Breton via the Capo of Good Hope, in ballast. Passengers ~ (cabin) ~ Mrs J Duncan, Mrs J. Matheson and two children, William McMillan and Donald McMillan. (steerage) Hugh McKenzie, Mrs. McKenzie and three children, Alex. McKenzie, Mrs. McKenzie and three children, John McKenzie, James Stuart, Mrs. Stuart and eight children, Mrs,. Christina Finlayson, Margaret, Alex., and Archibald Finlayson, Kenneth Campbell, Farquhar McLennan, John Urquhart, Mrs Isabella Mattheson, Christina Mattheson, Robert McNab, Mrs McNab, Alexander Stuart, Mrs Stuart and one child, Miss M. Matthieson, Margaret, Ann, Johanna, and Catherine Matthieson, Neil Campbell, Donald McKenzie, Arch. Stuart, Mrs. Stuart and five children, Mrs. Annabell McKenzie, Roderick McKenzie, Murdoch McKenzie, Christina McKenzie, Alexander Cameron, Miss Cameron and four children, Miss Jane McLeod, Hugh McLean, Margaret Mathieson; Alexander McKenzie, Mrs. McKenzie and three children, Mrs. Margaret McKenzie and four children, Alexander McKenzie, Miss McKenzie and four children, Ann Munro. G. Duke, agent.
The Spray, brigantine, from Nova Scotia, the arrival of which at the Bay of Islands we noted a few days ago, came in at an early hour yesterday morning. She left Cape Breton on the 9th January ~ just in time to avoid being frozen in. The passage to the Cape of Good Hope was a tedious one, occupying 73 days. The vessel called at Cape Town for water and provisions, remaining there 10 days, and leaving on the 2nd of April. Her passage thence was also a tedious one, much easterly wind having been experienced. On the 56th day from the Cape, the schooner put into Twofold Bay, and remained there to take on board water and fresh provisions. She had a good run of eight days from the New South Wales to the New Zealand coast, and made the Bay on the eleventh. The prevalence of easterly winds detained I her there eight days, she having not left till the evening of Tuesday last. The Spray, although a good large roomy vessel, would strike one as being scarcely adequate to the conveyance, for such a distance, of so many passengers ~ ninety-six in all, but the whole have arrived in good health. There were two births on board ; no deaths no sickness. No vessel was laid on to follow I the Spray, but many persons are represented as being anxious to emigrate, should they receive encouragement. The Spray is a Nova Scotia built vessel, hailing from Halifax.
Breadalbane, a village, is located in Queens County in the central portion of Prince Edward Island.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 22:50 BST (UK) »

.... I am a descendant of Hugh - three of the brothers settled in Albany Western Australia ....

.... But I am also looking for information on how they got there and where they came from ....

Hello Kelsiekate ...  and welcome to Rootschat.    :)

Although this thread commenced way back in 2010, I'd be hopeful that it's author > "rdarby" (Roger), > may get notification of your enquiry and be able to offer you some assistance.   ;) [Roger was last online here, as recently as June this year.]

It seems that this McKENZIE enquiry was possibly placed on the New Zealand RootsChat board in an effort to "flush out" any family members who may have come to NZ   ???
... Hugh senior died in Albany WA in Jan 1841 and the rest of the family continued on to Sydney and some may have gone on to New Zealand.
Roger

But in the years since 2010, nobody has come forward with (New Zealand) information on persons from this particular McKENZIE branch.   ???

I couldn't find the "twitter" reference you mentioned re: the McKENZIE House restoration ( ;D my fault, not yours) but did cast the net wider with a google search "Mckenzie brothers + shipping + albany + western australia" which returned some helpful information.
http://inherit.stateheritage.wa.gov.au/Public/Inventory/Details/c6734c06-72fc-4bc6-a5ed-e81010f7f595

I'm guessing though you already have details for McKENZIE brothers + shipping, around the area of Albany, W.A.  ???  ;)

~   Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 23:21 BST (UK) »
Also I found this but not sure if it’s the same Hugh

.......Daily Southern Cross, 26 June 1857, Page 2
Shipping Intelligence. PORT OF AUCKLAND. 
ENTERED INWARDS. June 25 Spray, brigantine, 107 tons, A. Duncan, from Cape Breton via the Capo of Good Hope, in ballast. Passengers ~ (cabin) ~ Mrs J Duncan, Mrs J. Matheson and two children, William McMillan and Donald McMillan. (steerage) Hugh McKenzie, Mrs. McKenzie and three children, Alex. McKenzie, Mrs. McKenzie and three children, John McKenzie,........

Hi again Kelsiekate

This shipping reference ^  is of course from 1857 ... and although the voyage is from Cape Breton (Nova Scotia, Canada), it is far too late to be your original McKENZIE family aboard this vessel.   Besides, if your McKENZIEs did, as history suggests, have a fleet of their own ships, it seems very unlikely they would travel in the none-too-pleasant steerage section of a boat on such a long journey.

In my earlier google search (for McKENZIEs arriving in Albany, W.A.)  .... a reference suggested they arrived (in W.A.) from Newfoundland, Canada (quite a distance from Nova Scotia), in 1840, on their self-built brig named "Brothers".  [ This is information also given in Roger's initial post here. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 23:53 BST (UK) »
"Western Mail", Perth, W.A. --  3 April 1914
At this link is the Obituary for John McKENZIE (son of Captain Hugh McKENZIE (the younger) Master Mariner, and the grandson of Captain Hugh McKenzie, of the Seaforth Highlanders).   It gives slightly different information about the family's arrival in W.A. ....[  "arrived in W.A. in 1842"   ???  ]  > >

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37969807?searchTerm=Hugh%20McKenzie%20%2B%20ALbany

The article states that this John McKENZIE was born at St. John's, New Brunswick  [a province of Canada ]  on 15 April 1840.

John's brother Cuthbert attended his funeral.

~  Lu

Added :   Link to Funeral details > (lots of names there - might be helpful ? )
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/70117794?searchTerm=Hugh%20McKenzie%20%2B%20ALbany