Author Topic: Alexander Harron Ballintra/Coxtown  (Read 4582 times)

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Harron Ballintra/Coxtown
« on: Friday 12 March 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Help Please

Trying to find Alexander Harron born c1903 Coxtown area I believe.  He married an Elizabeth Ellen Arnold on the 11 August 1931 Parish Church Drumhome the were residing in Ballintra.

Alexanders father is listed as Alexander, Merchant and Elizabeths father was a Saddler.

I have tried the 1911 census but the only Alexander Harron I can find is the nephew of Thomas living in Coxtown.

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you

Violet

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Harron Ballintra/Coxtown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 March 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I have not seen a good match for him on the census yet ... but I'd say his name is possibly spelt in some unusual way, or mis-transcribed. meanwhile - there are just two good matches for his birth on the Civil Index :

Name: Alexander Harron
 Registration district: Donegal
 Record type: Birth
 quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1903
 Volume: 2 / Page: 34

Name: Alexander Harron
 Registration district: Donegal
 record type: Birth
 quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1904
 Volume: 2 / Page: 32

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 March 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Any reason why the nephew Alexander can't be the one you are looking for?
The census records the household on one particular night but doesn't mean that nephew Alexander lived there all the time.
1911 Census shows an Alexander Harron in Ballintooey (Ballintra D.E.D.) with wife and 2 small children. Wife says she's married 7 years and has 2 children. If this is Alexander's father then perhaps he was married before and Alexander was from 1st marriage.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Ballintra/Ballintooey/479651/
There's also an older Alexander Harron in the area whose children are not all at home.

Your Alexander Harron's birth certificate would list names of both parents as well as exact place and date of birth.

If you search for 'Alexander Harron' and then narrow down to Donegal Co. and dates 1900-1909 you'll see several possible Alexander Harron births (see Shane has just posted the births) as well as a few marriages.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=collectionDetails
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline violet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 March 10 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your help.  I have now found the family on the 1911 census under Alick Harron not Alexander.  Having established the date of birth for Alick senior I have now sent for his birth cert.  I am hoping that this will come back as him being the son of Thomas Harren and Mary Watson who married in 1849. I have also ordered the marriage cert for Thomas and Mary.  Once I have established Thomas's father hopefully I will then have more chance of finding my Robert as I believe that Thomas and Robert were brothers.

Thank you once again.

Offline Laura Brymer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Violet,
My name is Laura I have only joined roots chat the lady in question Elizabeth Ellen Arnold father saddler in my great aunt sister of my nannie Rebecca May Arnold I really hope you get this message I would love to know who you are.
Best wishes
Laura