Author Topic: Edward Shelley  (Read 4644 times)

Offline TraceyShelley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Shelley
« on: Saturday 13 March 10 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I've recently acquired the following information on my great great great grandfather, Edward Shelley. I'm feeling rather stumped as to where I should search for any further information and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've done a search here and looked through various links that people have posted but still came up with nothing.

Here's what I have on him:

Edward Shelley came to Newfoundland from County Tipperary in Ireland sometime between 1825-1830. He brought with him his wife, Bridget Morrissey and at least two small boys, Francis (Frank) and Edward. Edward and Bridget Shelley settled in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. There they had another son, Patrick Shelley who was baptized at the Immaculate Conception Church in Harbour Grace on April 25, 1830. Edward was still living in Harbour Grace in 1844 according to the NFLD newspaper 'Indicator'. A list is given in the newspaper on July 27, 1844 of Irishmen who supported the Fenian cause in Ireland and Edward Shelley is listed as a native of County Tipperary. (Re: Co. Waterford: Edward and Bridget Shelley would have sailed from Waterford City in Ireland, the nearest port. Edward would have lived near the Tipperary-Waterford County line and it is possible that Bridget was from Waterford.)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Shelley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 10 11:11 GMT (UK) »
since the records you are looking for are before Civil registration started (1864), you will need to research Church records to find details on the Shelly family. To do this you will need to establish the family religion, and where they lived - e.g. parish, town or townland - see : 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
You have problems  :)

Tipperary is a big county. As Shane says you have to narrow it down which will take you a lot of time

The chances are they are Catholic (but perhaps you can verify that from the baptisms in Canada) given he was signed up to the Fenians

If you look at Griffiths (it is around 1850) but does give you and idea of where to look for a family
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
(you need to check both North Riding and South Riding) and you will find "Shelly" but not "Shelley" (I would not let that worry you) in both parts of Tipperary.

You will even find a couple of Edwards (family name?)

Then go and take a look at the Tithes
http://www.irelandgenweb.com/~irltip/records.htm#tithes
which were done around 1830, and work you way through ideally all, but if you are idle the most likely, parishes for Shellys

At that point you then need to track down the parish registers
http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com/index.php?&set=yes
Have a not particularly good site where you can look up tp see which registers they have (to get a copy of anything is hit and miss, expensive, and you only get a badly transcribed card of the entry), but it does give you a lead.

After that you need to look at the fiches, available in Nat Lib Ireland, but you may be able to get them from local LDS (I am not sure on that)
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
There is someone else looking for Shelley in Tipperary on this page

http://www.connorsgenealogy.com/tipp/tipperarysurnamesStoZ.html
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline TraceyShelley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Wow, I went away for a few days thinking I'd have no replies and am pleasantly surprised to see a few. Thank you so much...looks like I have some reading to do:)