Author Topic: Immigration from England to New South Wales - SARGENT  (Read 3539 times)

Offline maxone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration from England to New South Wales - SARGENT
« on: Saturday 13 March 10 05:11 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother, Emily Agnes WHITTAM (nee SARGENT) b 8/9/1871 Sydney, was the daughter of William Henry SARGENT bapt. 4/8/1823 Devonport, England and Mary Ann SARGENT (nee PARSONS) b 14/3/1843 Port Macquarie, N.S.W. m 30/11/1870 Sydney. I'm trying to find out when and where William Henry SARGENT arrived in Australia and who his parents and grandparents were?

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 10 06:23 GMT (UK) »
It looks like your ancestor is on the IGI

WILLIAM HENRY SARGENT Male
Birth: 22 NOV 1822 
Christening: 04 AUG 1823 
Place: Morrice St -Wesleyan, Devonport, Devon, England
 Father: WILLIAM SARGENT
 Mother: MARY ANN   
Batch No.: C063601

I apologise if I'm telling you how to suck eggs but if you go to the familyhistory website page:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=/eng/search/ancestorsearchresults.asp

and in the appropriate places just enter the surname and the Batch No C063601 (which is the film for the appropriate church records of Morrice St -Wesleyan, Devonport, Devon, England)

You will get several "Sargant" results with differing parents (possibly brothers/cousins of your ancestor).  It looks like your ancestor could have had two children but there's a suspiciously large gap in between baptisms.

To find the marriage of the parents of William Henry Sargant go back to the search page - and enter his father's full name and then below that enter his mother's given name.  You'll get a full page of results but you'll notice there's only a couple of marriages in Devon for you to choose from and the 1822 marriage looks like it could be William's parents.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from England
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 10 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi maxone  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Is there no information on the marriage certificate as to William's parents?

His death certificate may confirm the IGI details that Rena found for you.  It should - depending on who informed of the death - also tell you how long he had been in the colonies, so will be easier to narrow down an arrival date.  At the moment we have a 47 year window (1823-1870) in which he could have come out here, and there are quite a few William Sargents in the immigration/convict records  :-\

Cheers
Prue

Offline maxone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from England to New South Wales - SARGENT
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 March 10 04:34 GMT (UK) »
To Rena - Thanks for your reply to my post.  You suggest visiting the Family History web site and entering SURNAME and BATCH No.C063601,  I brought up the familysearch page you suggested and entered SARGENT as surname but can't see where to enter the BATCH No. Your help much appreciated again. maxone

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 March 10 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maxone :)

There is a W H Sargent b c1823 departed WAGO arrived Sydney 12 Dec 1862
aboard the ship 'Stately'.

The only other W Sargents were in the Criminal Registers...don't know whether you would like those ???

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 March 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maxone,
I've just tried my link and it doesn't bring up the EXACT layout - the link only takes you to the general page for finding names on census and births, christenings and marriages.  The results would have included your Sargent but it would take a long time going through the list to find them.

Therefore,  to find the exact page for the IGI batch number Search facility use my link, then on the lefthand side (3rd down) click on :  "International Genealogical Index"

In the space titled *Last name enter Sargent.

There are headings on all the search space facilities, such as "Spouse", "Region" and under them is "Batch Number".

A Batch number starts with "C" (Christenings) or ""M" (marriages)

I hope you manage to follow my directions - good luck
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 March 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a death

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

1917 #2944 William H Sargent
father William
no mother shown

Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 March 10 11:36 GMT (UK) »
According to the IGI on Family Search his mother's name was

Mary Ann...no maiden name given.

Joy

Oops see Rena has already given you that...sorry Rena :D ;D
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 March 10 11:58 GMT (UK) »
that's okay Joy

I worked out his parents were probably these people but I might be wrong:

William SARGENT and MARY ANN CLATWORTHY
  Marriage:  22 APR 1822 Stoke Damerel, Devon, England