Author Topic: MARTIN  (Read 2532 times)

Offline billsnowdon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARTIN
« on: Monday 15 March 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
William George Martin married Sophie Marsh 31 Dec. 1835 at St Peter's Radford.Does theentry contain his father's name orhisplace of birth ? Any help appreciated. Bill Snowdon.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARTIN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 March 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
at 1835 it would not show any parentage, nor abode other than "of this parish/of That Parish".

Your only clue would be witness names.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill

The entry states they were both of that parish and the witnesses were William Haininern? & Joseph Hooke.  They married by banns

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragon266

• RootsChat Extra
  • Grandfather C.H.Stephenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 10 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Noticed the mention to st peters radford did a search for church and came across a site of old pictures from early 80's which was intresting to see the change from then to now. http://www.riffdesign.co.uk/radford/index.htm
 also has information about nottingham.
Martin/Nottingham,Stephenson/Yorkshire,Craggs/Yorkshire,Thorpe/Portsmouth,Clements/Portsmouth,
Harrison,Shawyer,Nicholson

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Sunflower,

Was the marriage record in Latin or English? I've drawn a blank looking for Haininern.

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood

The entry was in English.  Who are you looking for?

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
this looks like them

71 Sherwood St
nottingham
William martin head M 54 Machine Fitter L'pool
Sophia wife 54 Nottingham
Clara daughter U 30 Teacher of French Nottingham
RG10 3507 75 34

William in not with Sophia in 1841/51/61

There is a record which suggests William was born Lyons France -which would explain his absenses if he had to keep going home - and Clara's choice of career.
His birthplace on the census image is as I have written it -but it is transcribed "Liverpool"

a mystery??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 May 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
Sunflower,

I am looking for any information on William Martin and Sophia Marsh, particularly his background. I thought maybe the witnesses would yield clues.

Suzard,

What/where is the record that shows William Martin born Lyons?  I have that noted in my records but no primary source.   The "French Connection" fits with him being involved in lace machinery as I understand Lyons (and Calais) had strong links to Nottingham.  I had wondered whether the enumerator misread Lyons as L'pool - possible?  To a Frenchman I think it would be just Lyon.

Never occurred to me that he might have returned to France periodically (and probably for extended periods if he missed three Censuses).  Do you think this is likely?  Does it suggest relatives still in France that he wanted/needed to see?  Maybe it was to do with work - the smuggling of lace machine parts to France is well documented. 

BTW, the OP and I are first cousins, hence chasing the same ancestors.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk