Author Topic: Broseley/Madeley Another marriage? Surname STEPHAN  (Read 4090 times)

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Broseley/Madeley Another marriage? Surname STEPHAN
« on: Tuesday 16 March 10 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Peter Stephan (Surname sometimes written as Stephen/Stephon) originally from Staffordshire, is living in Broseley, Shropshire on all censuses 1841-1871. I presume that he spent all of his adult life there.

There is a marriage for him at St Leonard Broseley in 1818, spouse Sarah Shenton. This is followed by the births of 3 children to Peter and Sarah Stephan between 1819 and 1824.

In 1850, Sep qtr, there's a marriage registration for Peter Stephan to Susanna Bradley, Madeley district. As censuses say that Susanna was born in Madeley, the marriage could have been at Broseley or Madeley (Madeley is registration district for Broseley)

On the 1851 census Peter and Susanna are in Broseley with 4 children, all born Broseley
Hannah, daur, born c1842 - Probably registered Madeley Sep 1842
George, son, born c1845
Edward, son, born c1846
Peter, son, born c1849

I can't find suitable birth registrations for the 3 boys.

As Peter and Susanna have only been married a few months, I am wondering if there was another marriage for Peter, perhaps about 1841/2. If this 2nd wife died during the late 1840s she would not show as Mrs Stephan on any census records.

If anyone has access to records for Broseley/Madeley please could you check for a marriage for Peter during the 1840s and or baptism records for the 4 children mentioned above. Perhaps this will give a clue as to who their mother was.

Thank you
Angela

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Broseley/Madeley Another marriage? Surname STEPHAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for him at St Leonard Broseley in 1818, spouse Sarah Shenton

When did Sarah die?  Do you have the family on the 1841 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 there is a Peter Stephan aged 40 - not b in county - plus a William Stephan aged 20 b in county who are living in Broseley and appear to be in lodgings

HO107 Piece 928/4 Folio 29 Page 20

Your Peter was b Staffs 1796 according to the 1851 and the IGI entry shows a son William b 1821

Susanna Nickless married John Bradley in 1837 - see freebmd and 1841 entry
HO107 Piece 928/15 Folio 41 Page 11

There is a John Bradley death in 1842 so the children are not hers from that marriage

There are no Peter Stephan marriages on freebmd before 1850.  Have you looked for female Stephan deaths - there is only one in Madeley in 1845 which does not fit with children born 1846 and 1849

Possibly he & Susanna were just living together prior to their marriage
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your interest Carole. This surname has several variations amongst records I have seen Stephan/Stephon/Stephen etc.

I don't know whether Sarah died, but this seems likely. I have found 3 sons for Peter & Sarah so perhaps she died within a few years of their marriage. As well as William they had sons Peter and John.

I wasn't aware of the Susanna Nickless/John Bradley marriage. Looks as though it could have been a fairly short marriage if he died in 1842. Hannah Stephan's birth was registered during the same qtr as John Bradley's death, so I should think it's unlikely that Susanna is her mother.

I have looked at all BMD records for a variety of spellings of the surname. There's more than one male Stephan living in Broseley around this time so I'm not sure if they are brothers. It's an unusual surname so it would be likely that there is a connection. Peter was from Stoke upon Trent so perhaps the parents moved to Broseley with their children. I think I have some more searching to do to untangle this family.

Angela

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this too much of a coincidence??

Edward Stephan Nickless March qtr 1847 Madeley  18  92

George Stephan Nickless September qtr 1844 Madeley  18  92

Peter Nickless December qtr 1849 Madeley 18  85

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I think you have solved my puzzle Carole. I'm sure it must be them. I need to investigate this more thoroughly.

No wonder I could only find Hannah in the BMD.

You are a real star. Thank you so much.

Angela

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 March 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Have found a Susanna Bradley and 2 year old Henry Bradley living with several members of a Nickless family in Madeley on the 1841 census. No sign of (husband) John Bradley.

Peter and Susanna did have one daughter c1855 after they were married, but it certainly looks as though most of the family were born before the marriage. I wonder why it took them so long to get married!

Angela

Offline penbex86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 September 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

I'm in the process of doing my family tree too - Stephan family in Broseley.
I haven't managed to go very far back yet (as I havent spoken to my Dad) however, I do know the following - it may just be of interest to you as it's in the same area.

My name is Penny Stephan (yes, there's still loads of us in Shropshire!), grandparents were Florence Stephan1911 (formerley Cullis) and  George John Victor Stephan 1905 - they married 1934. All of them were born and raised in Madeley, Shropshire.

I have yet to approach my father for further information, but will be doing so soon. However, ANY information you have in relation to these people or any ancestors of theirs would be greatly appreciated.

A work friend said that he had conducted some personal research and discovered that he was also a descendant of the Stephan family. He said that after hours of trawling through the Shropshire Archives he discovered that we were descendant of Royal German Gypsies?! Any light being shed on this would also be great

Many thanks!!!

Moderator comment: edited to remove details of people who are likely still alive (which would contravene Rootschat rules on privacy).  Please pass such details by Personal Message when you have made more posts.

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 September 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Penny

Welcome to Rootschat.

I believe the Broseley branch of the Stephan family started with a Peter Stephan who married a Hannah Johnson in Stoke Upon Trent in 1801. This may have been his 2nd marriage. His occupation at the time was 'Modeller'

Peter had at least 2 sons Peter was born about 1796 in Stoke Upon Trent and William was born in Shelton, Staffs about 1798.

Between them these 2 brothers had at least 11 sons, so your direct ancestor could be either of these brothers. Their children were all born in Shropshire.

So far the Stephan family I have been looking at have been found in Stoke, Broseley and Worcester. All 3 of these areas have a connection with pottery, and many of the Stephan family are involved in the pottery making trade. Some of them are described as Artists or Modellers of China, so I assume they were employed at the Royal Worcester Pottery, Coalport Pottery and the Stoke Upon Trent Potteries.

I have seen family trees which suggest that Peter Stephan senior came from Germany. These trees go back several generations and includes Counts, Countesses, Princesses and a Baronesss. I have not researched this far back myself so I can't say whether this line is genuine.

I will check some records I have and see if I have any information which may be relevant to your research.

Regards
Angela