Author Topic: Power from Waterford  (Read 2954 times)

Offline janham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Power from Waterford
« on: Monday 21 March 05 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am not researching the Power name, however I have recently had a Newspaper article transcribed regarding my own Hamilton family, on the same page was an article referring to the death of a Waterford soldier,  the article was written in May 1917 and was taken from "The Waterford News" it may be important to somebody who is researching their family so I have transcribed it below.

HOW A WATERFORD SOLDIER DIED.

The following letter has been received by Mrs. James Power, 48 John Street Waterford:- 2nd Leinsters, B.E.F. France May 21st 1917

Dear Mrs Power- Your letter has only just reached me owing to some insufficiency of address.  The sad news of your son's death is only too true.  I buried him with two of his companions.  I was not with him when he died.  Himself and three others were killed together by a shell which burst just beside them.  From what I could see death was instantaneous.  Regarding his spiritual affairs you need be under no uneasiness as all the men who went into action on that occasion were at confession and Holy Communion two or three times just before the action.  I think God will be good to all those who fell.  They died doing their duty in the cause of freedom and Justice.  The Commanding Officer, Colonel Murphy, and his company officers desire me to say how deeply they sympathise with you in your loss:-
Yours faithfully in Jesus Christ,

J.P. MOLONEY, Chaplain.

I hope this connects with somebody's ancestry.

Regards
Jan     

Otho Hamilton, John Hamilton, George Hamilton, William Hamilton, from Waterford.
Cullinane and Fitz-henry from Waterford
Oxland from Waterford
The Olivestob Hamiltons from Edinburgh.

Cook from Stroud, Painswick, Glos.
Hudson from Huddersfield, Liverpool
Spiers from Evesham and Liverpool
Jinks from Evesham and Liverpool

Offline Annie91232

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Power from Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Just checked my list of Waterford men from 'Soldiers Died', and it seems the soldier about whom the letter was written was probably:

Pte. Pierce Power 3524 2nd Bttn. Leinster Regt., k.i.a. 12 April 1917, from St. John's, Waterford.

It is nice to have a little more information on him, for all of us.

Padre Moloney too deserves a mention; his name crops up time after time in  the Leinster Regt. histories - he was always in the thick of the action, tending to the wounded and dying, and was awarded a Military Cross as early as 1915!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 07 15:05 BST (UK) »
Could someone please supply any extra information on Padre Moloney, as I think he could be a link to my Moloney ancestry.

I have tried various sites after reading about him on the Waterford posting with no luck. If I could find out his full name, parents etc. it could give me the link I am looking for.

Any help would be most appreciated.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lisduggan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie91232
sorry to but in on your thread would you have any information re/ M fitzgerald .