Author Topic: Nurses WW1  (Read 7344 times)

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
Nurses WW1
« on: Friday 19 March 10 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way of tracing Nurses in serving in  WW1? I have  Minnie Johnson (1895) working in London Hospital in 1918. (This info was in the papers of her deceased brother Cecil Noble Johnson who was killed in 1918).
Minnie was born at Curragh Camp.

Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nurses WW1
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 10 12:17 GMT (UK) »
How you trace her depends very much if she was an Army nurse or a civilian nurse.
Here's some guides:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=169
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=121&j=1
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 March 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Go to Sue's most excellent site

www.scarletfinders.co.uk

This will tell you all you need to know and more!
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Assuming that it refers to her working at 'The London Hospital' (Mile End Road), rather than just 'a London hospital', I can find a reference to a Minnie Christine Johnson being a probationer nurse (student nurse) at The London Hospital between 1917 and 1919.  Not the only Nurse Minnie Johnson in the country, but that one fits in really well.  As she was a civilian nurse at the time, there will be no military records on her, but The London Hospital has very extensive archives, and may well have more information.

http://www.bartsandthelondon.nhs.uk/aboutus/the_royal_london_hospital_archives.asp

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 10 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
Pretty certain that you found the right Minnie. It doesn't say 'The London Hospital', Just London Hospital on the document. Will try  the Archives as you suggest. The Family were living in London at the time, although Minnie wasn't with them in 1911 Census, haven't managed to find her on it so far.

Another of my family in the 1871 Census listed Elizabeth Jay Trow as a Medical Student, thought it rather unusual for those days for a Woman. Think it was quite an achievement as she was born in the Work House. Do you think I could traceher at all?
Thanks for help,
Bob.
Roberts - Kent/Middx. Trow/Harris - Surrey. Johnston -Scotland, Lanarkshire, Barony (Glasgow). Brown - Buckinghamshire. Beale - Middx/Surrey. Hardwick - East London/Essex. Lambert - Norfolk/East London. Reddekopp - USA. Prescott - Berkshire/Ireland/Lincolnshire <br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 March 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
How you trace her depends very much if she was an Army nurse or a civilian nurse.
Here's some guides:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=169
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=121&j=1
Many thanks Neil, I think Sue has found her for me.
Regards,
Bob.

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 March 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Go to Sue's most excellent site

www.scarletfinders.co.uk

This will tell you all you need to know and more!
Many thanks for that. Sue also sent me a reply, pretty sure have traced her.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 March 10 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Bob

The information about Minnie Johnson was taken from a copy of the Register of the General Nursing Council for England and Wales.  Although they're not easily available, I happen to have one here for 1928 when her permanent home address was 'Stella Maris, Hall Lane, Walton-on-Naze, Essex.'  The only other copy I have is for 1942, in which she doesn't have an entry, so either married or not working as a nurse by that time.

The London Hospital is probably one of the most interesting to research as they have one of the best archives in the country.  I see you don't live in the UK, but here we have had a fairly long running TV series called (variously) 'Casualty 1901', 'Casualty 1907', and the latest 'Casualty 1909.'  This series could I suppose be called 'faction' and follows the life of the hospital over the first decade of the twentieth century.  Because it's based on the extensive hospital archives, it is, for a drama-documentary, extremely faithful to history, despite the nurses all being unusually beautiful, devoted, and with the highest integrity!  The matron at the time Minnie started there was Eva Luckes, one of the most well-known and charismatic of all hospital matrons.  She died in February 1919, still holding her position, and it must have been a momentous time for the hospital.  A web search for her will lead on to more about the hospital at that time. 

The London Hospital did a lot of things differently from others.  It had a committment to the working people, and would not admit any patients who could afford to pay to go elsewhere, although they did send their nurses out after two years training to care for the rich in their own homes - that's how they made quite a lot of money to run the hospital.  Many other hospitals opposed the way The London was run, and during the twenties and thirties it had no option but to fall in to line over the way it trained its nurses.

Unfortunately I'm a real one-trick pony, and as far as Elizabeth Trow goes, I'm not sure how you find her.  Ancestry has British medical directories online from 1859, but I can't see an entry for her in the years following on from 1871 in that name, so perhaps she never qualified as a doctor.  I guess that usual family history methods of census/BMD etc., might find her later.  Maybe the occupation board here might have more ideas.

Regards   ---   Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline SHOTLEY50

• RootsChat Member
  • DAD 1917 (KRRC)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 March 10 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your help Sue. Gradually getting a picture of her. A brother lived in that part of Essex at that time.
Haven't heard of that programme, sounds interesting. We have got a BBC Channel here, with luck they may show it at some time.
Regards,
Bob.